She was glad he didn't say anything which would make things even more awkward. He just focused back on his screen and typed away again.

"Tell me if I'm being too loud. I can go to my office."

"It's fine." She whispered, "I can sleep through it." She rolled to her other side, her back facing him, "Night Mark."

She listened to him typing away for a few minutes before she drifted away.

***

Glancing at her wedding ring Jade felt like she was fooling herself rather than people around her. She wanted it to be real, but she knew Mark was the last person on earth to give her that. He told her he would, but she couldn't pretend he wasn't the reason why her family was torn apart. It was his revenge, she knew that he probably deserved to get that, but she wished he didn't drag her into things.

"What are you doing?"

Turning around she faced Scott who looked at her with accusing eyes.

"Paying my husband a visit."

"Your husband has an appointment with me."

Her heart started racing as Scott's look intensified.

"I didn't tell him I was coming over."

She held her breath when Scott reached for her. He pushed the elevator button and placed his hands in his pockets while his eyes travelled to the screen above the elevator door. He was checking which floor the elevator was at.

"You're actually playing your part." He told her.

She wasn't doing anything. She promised herself she'd dig and try and find something about Mark, anything. But even though she was alone at the penthouse she felt like she couldn't go through his things. She didn't want to dismiss his privacy.

"I suppose I am."

The elevator door opened and Jade stepped aside to let people pass them. Scott let her step inside first and finally stepped in as well, standing in front of her with his back facing her.

"You suppose you are." He repeated quietly, "Let me give you some advice, Jade." His tone never changed, but the air around them suddenly felt much colder, like he could control their environment, "Don't do anything which you'll regret later. Let us handle this, just pacify him for the time being."

That made her heat up, the anger boiling in her core as she glared at Scott's back.

"Do you even know what that means?" She asked him quietly, though she wanted to scream those words in his face. She was proud of herself she didn't do it. Letting her emotions get the better of her was what got her in this mess in the first place. She learned from her mistakes.

"Yes, it means you play your part and we do our part."

He knew, yet he didn't care. She could see why Scott was selected to be her father's inside man. Scott had no soul whatsoever. When the time came he'd stab Mark in the back without blinking. It terrified her people like that existed in this world. In their little world.

"We?"

"Don't worry about it." He straightened his shoulders and stepped out of the elevator once it stopped at Mark's floor, he spun around and faced her, "Once it's time I'll let you know. For now just smile and keep him company." His lips curled up to a wicked smile, "He won't hurt you." A chuckle left his lips, "I think he actually cares about you."

Turning around he walked away, heading to Mark's office first. She needed time to recover though. She knew Mark cared about her, yet hearing Scott confirm it made it that more real. It also made her feel bad for Mark.
Taking a deep breath she followed after Scott, her heels clicking away. Their excited voices traveled to her, she could hear her husband's laugh which made her heart hurt even more. Letting out a shaky breath she pushed the door open and was greeted by the sight of her husband laughing away while Scott told him an entertaining story about some girl who tried to feel him up. Mark looked surprised when he spotted her then he faced his friend and raised an eyebrow at him.

"That's the surprise you were talking about?" Mark stood up and stepped to her, startling her by suddenly leaning in and kissing her lips, "It's a pleasant surprise." He told her, his eyes warm and inviting.

Scott took a seat on the chair in front of his desk, "Actually your wife decided to surprise you on her own. I just thought I'd take credit for it."

Mark rolled his eyes at his so called friend, "Of course."

Mark was being warm and so welcoming, he cupped her face with his hands. His smile never leaving his face.

"I've missed you." He whispered to her, but she was certain Scott still heard him.

Covering his hands with hers, she stood on her toes and leaned in kissing him. She couldn't speak up because she didn't trust her own voice. She was certain her voice would break and she'd end up crying. She was an emotional mess right now. And she hated herself for it, but she didn't want Scott to stab her husband in his back. She was getting lost in the kiss when Mark suddenly pulled away and smiled down at her.

"We have company." He told her quietly and pulled away completely, turning his back to her, "Scott, we'll reschedule. I'd like to go home early with my wife."

"Sure. I figured you would when I met up with Jade."

Mark and Scott rescheduled their appointment and like promised Mark left work early to go home with her. Jade held tightly onto his hand the entire trip back to the penthouse. She knew Mark was looking at her funny, she had never been that clingy with him. He didn't question her though. She was sure he was afraid she'd pull back once he commented on it, so he acted like he normally did.

"This is a surprise." Betty was setting up the table, seeing them walk in together, still holding hands, "It's cute though. Let me take a picture of you two." She was reaching for her phone and gestured for them to get even closer.

Mark wrapped her up in his arms while they faced Betty. She took the picture of them together and send it to Mark. They had dinner together and snuggled up on the couch to watch a movie together while eating dessert.

"I won't be able to come home early tomorrow. I actually have a lot of catching up to do."

"Sorry."

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault." He sounded upset and when she glanced at him she could see he was actually getting angry at her for apologizing, "I had a great time, Jade. I actually loved spending so much time with you. Am I wrong to assume you also had a great time?"

"No." She didn't waver when she locked eyes with him, "I feel like we've gotten a lot closer. And I've missed you too."

She could see the surprise in his eyes, then his eyes warmed and his anger faded when he realized she responded to his earlier statement.

Grabbing her empty plate he placed it on the coffee table along with his. Carefully he reached for her and cupped her face in his hands while he kissed her. The kiss was soft at first, as if he was afraid she'd pull away. When she kissed him back he deepened the kiss, slipping his tongue in her mouth. Then the kiss turned heated and wet. Her breathing hitched in her throat when his hands started to explore, slowly slipping under her shirt. She got so lost into the moment she didn't even realize when he picked her up and started walking to their bedroom. She snapped out of her daze when her back hit the mattress and she bounced a little. Mark stood at the end of the bed, his eyes intensifying as he took her in. It made her feel pretty and wanted. Mark started to unbutton his shirt while she sat up and kicked off her heels. Sitting up on her knees she reached for his belt and pulled him closer to her, her lips pressing against his neck while she listened to their breathing. Mark placed his hand on the back of her head, lacing his fingers into her hair and pulled her gently back. Covering her lips with his he gave her a quick kiss and pulled away. He stepped back and took off his shoes, tossing them beside hers. Smiling Jade laid back against the pillows and watched him crawl on top of her. She let her hands wander over his bare chest, exploring his heated skin. That night he made her forget about everything else and she loved every second of it.