The Birdman Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

Simon frowned. "Josh, he's too heavy for you. You're almost the same size."

This time it was JJ's hand on Simon's arm. The blond man looked at his partner.

"You got 'im, Josh?" When the boy nodded, JJ squatted and scooped both boys up. Yes they were bigger than when they first found them, but they were still smaller than other kids their age. Softly, he spoke into Josh's ear. "You got Ethan. I got you."

JJ turned to Simon. "Let's get these boys pizza."

Simon looked at his boyfriend with disapproval. It wasn't exactly good for him to be carrying two children. "Babe, you sure?" to which the man nodded.

Cal stepped out of the kitchen, saying he'd keep an eye on Tobi and Harry while the two fathers kept an eye on Ethan and Josh. He watched as the boys were loaded into the car and the four drove away.

Cal's mind replayed the event as he tried to figure out what had gone wrong with a simple trip for drinks. He shook his head when he could come up with nothing. His thoughts went back to the family that had just departed. He hoped that the men would be able to work out the problem and overcome it, as they had previous ones. He desperately hoped they could succeed once again.

...

Simon parked next to the house after returning from the pizza trip. The two men got out and opened the back doors to the big car. Ethan was sound asleep, exhausted from the day's events. JJ reached in and, unfastened the seat belt, lifting the limp body out. Josh kept an eye on the boy, but when he saw Ethan snuggle into JJ's chest, he breathed a sigh of relief. Only then, did he allow Simon to lift him out of the vehicle.

At nine years of age, Simon would only have carried the boy if he was really tired after a long drive, but tonight the desire to hold the small form close was strong and he closed the car door and headed up to the house with the youngster still in his arms. He smiled as the child took a deep breath and settled into the crook of his arm.

Cal opened the door for them, having been waiting by the window for their approach. They sent him a silent nod of appreciation as the man left for his own car, forever grateful for all the help their friend provided them with, always going above and beyond what was expected of him.  JJ took Ethan upstairs and went straight to his and Josh's room to get the youngster ready for bed. Simon headed to the kitchen still carrying the other boy. He set him down on a chair and went to the fridge. Opening the door, he glanced over his shoulder.

"Josh, what do you want?" Even though they had gone to buy the pizza, no one seemed to want it. Harry and Tobi could have their slices and they could put the rest of it in the fridge and save it for tomorrow. Simon watched the boy shrug his shoulders.

"Yeah, I'm not too hungry either," he agreed. "Can we talk?"

"'Bout Ethan?"

The man nodded. Josh looked away. He seemed to be considering something, so Simon moved to the counter and got down the beans to make coffee. He would let the boy make his decision while he brewed the coffee. JJ needed to hear whatever Josh had to say too.

He didn't have to wait long for JJ. The man walked in the room, sniffing the air.

"Hmm, coffee smells good, Si. We decide on what to eat?" The man grabbed a cup and, after pouring the hot drink, sat down at the table with Josh and Simon. Simon shook his head.

"Doesn't seem that anyone's hungry just yet."

Josh was swirling a glass of Dr Pepper Simon had poured for him, not looking at either of the men. Simon finally reached over and placed a hand on the boy's arm, stilling the fingers. Josh pulled his hands back and put them in his lap. Drawing a deep breath, he looked up.