Chapter 8.

Rachel's P.O.V.

There was light consistent pressure on my shoulder, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I reached out trying to find my blankets but all my hand came in contact with was an arm rest? What? My eyes flicked open. I looked around confusedly as I took in what seemed like an airplane? Where am I? My eyes then fell on a sleeping Niall sat right beside me, his fingers laced with mine, head leaning on my shoulder and that's when everything came back to me. The guitar, the necklace, the kiss, my mom, boarding the plane. My hand flew up to my neck, where it landed over the skeleton key necklace lying underneath my onesie.

Tears started to prickle the corners of my eyes when I began to think of my mom. I couldn't wrap my head around everything that was happening. What a great way to spend Christmas? It wasn't even noon and this day had already gone terribly wrong.

We still had 8 hours of the flight left. Right when I felt like I was going to burst into tears a hand tightening over mine and a voice laced with sleep, caused my watery eyes to flick over to him. Niall's sleep filled eyes stared into my watery ones. He smiled a little smile, before tugging me into his side. He lightly kissed my forehead while simultaneously tugging me closer when a sob wrecked my body.

"Babe, don't cry. Please. You know your mum wouldn't want you to cry no matter what happens. She would want you to be happy and brave." Niall continued whispering soothing things as I finally stopped crying.

"I just don't know what I'm going to do Niall. I'm just... I'm not ready for this. I'm not ready to lose her."

"I know... and if you do, I'll be there. You'll have me. I'll be there every step of the way."

"Thank you" I say sending him a watery smile. Niall's a little teary eyed too. He leans down to give me a sweet kiss.

***

Before we know it the planes descending and were gathering all of our stuff. I slip on my converse that Niall had shoved in my purse, before undoing my seatbelt when it is safe for us to leave. We slowly make our way off the plane. It's 5 a.m. in Ireland right now. We get through baggage claim, quickly finding our duffle bags, we then get through border control before we finally flag a cab. We tiredly place our bags at our feet as we slide into the back seat of the cab. Niall rattles off his Mum's address as I pull the hood of my onesie up, zipping the zipper all the way up to the top, so all I can see is darkness. Niall laughs tiredly before pulling me into his side. It's another hour drive till we reach Niall's Mum's house, so I let my eyes flutter shut once again, sleep overwhelming me.

In what feels like no time I being awoken by Niall pulling the Zipper of my onesie down to my neck. My blurry eyes stare into his wide awake ones.

"We'll be there in a few minutes" He smiles over at me excitedly, yawning I rub my eyes, sitting up so I can look out the window and take in our surroundings. Sure enough I quickly recognize the street Niall and I used to ride our bikes up and down for hours on end, the pond we would play Marco polo in with Greg. Before I knew it we were pulling up outside of Niall's house. Niall quickly paid the driver before grabbing the two duffle bags, leaving me to grab my purse. He laced his fingers with mine before pulling me out of the cab after him. His grip on my hand tightened as he knocked on the front door, waiting for his Mum to answer the door. I still wasn't awake but I knew how excited Niall was to see his mum again after being away for a while. I was excited too, but I was just too exhausted for really anything right now. I just wanted to fall asleep with some warm blankets and a good cuddle. Niall looked down at me, I sent him a tired smile. He beamed back at me. His eyes flicking to what was dangling above the doorway.

"Mistletoe" He said before leaning over and giving me a quick peck. A smile tugged at my lips and I sighed contently into the kiss. Niall could make me smile in literally the worst scenarios.

When we went to pull away, the door was swiftly pulled open. Surprising booth of us. Greg stood leaning against the door lazily rubbing his tired eyes. Even though he was clearly tired a knowing smirk made its way onto his face.

"Hello love birds, we didn't think you'd be in quite so soon" Greg said opening the door further to let us in. He shut the door behind us.

"We took the first flight we could once we found out"

"Mums still asleep, she spent all of yesterday in the hospital. We didn't expect you guys so soon. We don't have the spare room anymore. Your dad's staying in the spare, I'm on the couch and all that's left is Niall's room..." He trails off before grinning. "Although I don't think that much matters now" He said wiggling his eyebrows.

"And there's the Greg I know and love" I laughed tiredly pulling him into a hug. Niall then gave him a quick hug before letting out a yawn.

"Look Greg, I'd love to catch up but were exhausted, let Mum know were here when she wakes up, ok? We're going to head up to my room to get more sleep before we head to the hospital." Greg nodded at Niall before heading back into the living room probably to get more sleep himself.

Niall and I slipped our shoes off next to the door before we quietly made our way up the stairs. Family pictures littered the walls. Pictures of Niall and Greg at various ages, family photos of all of them together, but most of all were pictures of Niall and I or Niall, Greg and I goofing off. This house really became my home away from home after the divorce. I knew this house like the back of my hand. As I entered Niall's room at the end of the hall, Niall trailing slowly behind, everything was exactly as he left it 2 years ago, when we left for X-factor. There were many things missing that Niall had brought with him to London to put in his flat but many things were still there. His walls were still painted that navy blue. There was still a giant chip in the corner from when Niall and I had had a light saber battle when we were 10. His bed was still covered in a giant white comforter. An Ireland flag hung proudly in the corner of the room. Cd's open Cd's littered the desk in his corner. A few of his first guitars hung against the wall. Pictures were scattered haphazardly spread across the walls. Tacked sloppily all over the place. Everyone, a picture of us. I dropped my purse on the floor next to where Niall had put our duffle bags. He had already dug out a pair of jogging bottoms and a tee shirt, along with his tooth brush.

"I'm going to change quickly" He said before walking out of the room and down the hall to the bathroom. I dug through my bag, while slipping out of my onesie. I pulled a tee shirt on and grabbed a pair of jogging bottoms from Niall's open duffle bag. I slipped them on before setting my onesie down next to our bags. I pulled my hairbrush out and brushed my knotted hair out, throwing it up in a messy bun. Putting my brush away I grabbed my toothbrush before heading down the hall to the bathroom. The dark hallway's only source of light came from underneath the bathroom door. I lightly knocked on the door and Niall answered with his tooth brush hanging out of his mouth, toothpaste foam dripping out of his mouth. Giggling I pushed past him so I could brush my teeth. We quickly finished brushing our teeth giggling quietly to ourselves, as toothpaste foam went everywhere. Niall gathered his onesie up before setting his toothbrush down next to mine on the counter. He grabbed my hand pulling me down the hall with him.

Once we got to Niall's room he shut the door behind us, throwing his onesie in the general direction of where our bags were. He flicked the lights off before blindly searching for his bed. It took several minutes and lots of giggles before we found it. Climbing under the covers Niall pulled me into his chest. It was exactly what I needed. I needed to be held. His arms were like home. Sighing I snuggled closer mumbling a "Goodnight Niall."

"Night Babe" He mumbled pressing a kiss to my forehead. Neither of us has ever been good with jetlag so we quickly fell asleep.