Episode 81 - Conclusion of the Mana Exam

Previously:

Elaru creates a scene on her exam, the intensity of her aura causes the entire building to shake. People inside the main hall of the building are alarmed because of the earthquake. Kiel tries to calm down the situation. Meanwhile, Dusk Rose, the assassin hired by Venric Rroda to kidnap Kiel, is still stuck with Elaru's needle inside his neck preventing him from moving.

* * *

The illumination crystals on the ceiling started flickering in and out and swaying dangerously left and right.

Zerel's lunar-like eyes shined brightly like two huge ingots of gold. Excitement, curiosity, mirth, expectation, and interest intertwined together, making his aura wiggle around like a litter of mischievous, newborn vulpies.

Deora's eyes widened, a tinge of panic seeping out through his aura. If his attention wasn't already preoccupied, Zerel's strange aura would have made his skin crawl.

Elaru's black and red striped scarf started flying around like wriggling snakes.

The dark sky seemed to get darker. And then suddenly, a bright flash of lightning illuminated the whole room.

As if the crystals inside the black pot were the source of lightning, they shined with the same golden luster as the lighting. The hum of the crystallizer was getting louder and louder, eventually becoming a high-pitched buzzing.

A tree of crystals spread out from the pot with numerous crystals dangling around like leaves. The roots of the tree looked as if they were pushing against the pot, trying to break out. As if, at any moment the pot would crack open.

The earth shook dangerously, making the shelves inside the room creak and the items clatter.

Deora's heart almost leaped out of his chest in alarm. He let out a miserable screech: "STOP!!!" however, it was suppressed by the rumbling of thunder.

Elaru either didn't hear him or pretended that she didn't. The torrent of mana passing through her skin seemed to distort the air around her, giving her a misty, ethereal glow.

The crystal tree reflected in Elaru's eyes, the golden color mixing with her teal magically as if it was always meant to be there. Small beads of sweat dripped down the side of her head, glittering as if they were made of transparent crystal.

Deora got up from his seat intending to stop the exam. This custom crystallizer was the most expensive exam device they had. Under no circumstance should he allow it to be damaged!

Deora jumped over the table and Accelerated towards the crystallizer, however, just as he activated the spell, Zerel's pale hands wrapped around his ankle. "Little Dei, we aren't allowed to interfere with the exam."

Zerel's pull made Deora lose his balance and stumble towards the exact black pot he had been trying to save. "Ah! Little Dei! Careful!" Zerel exclaimed. It was hard to tell whether his worry and surprise was genuine or sarcastic.

Horror overtook Deora's face as he fell face first towards the crystallizer.

He recast the Acceleration in attempts to forcefully change his direction of movement, missing the pot by a hair's width.

As Deora stabilized himself, cold sweat dripped down his face in streams. He took raspy breaths and glared at Elaru. "Stop... Right... Now!"

This time, Elaru seemed to take notice of his efforts and her gaze converged on Deora. She exhaled a hot breath that turned into white mist.

The whirlpool of mana around her slowly slowed down and seemed to dissipate.

Not even half of the sand inside the hourglass had flowed down the bottleneck. The exam wasn't supposed to be over just yet.