Chapter 7

Jaelyn's POV

Charlie. The only name that mattered right now. I wondered if the thoughts of his death would consume summer. I spiked my favorite volleyball against my thin apartment wall. Someone next door yelled for me to shut the hell up, that gave me the urge to play louder. I was startled by a knock on the door behind me. I tossed the ball aside and wiped my face, smearing tears and makeup. I flung the door open, not even caring who was waiting on the other side. Emma strolled in holding her phone firmly in her hand. "Jaelyn, I got here as fast I could. Are you alright?" Emma immediately took back her question when she looked up at me. "Jaelyn sit down, this is a lot for you to process." She commanded, she walked into the kitchen and came back with a glass of water. "You need to tell Kellin." She handed me the glass of water, although my throat was too constricted to drink. "I don't see what's the big deal." I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples carefully. "The big deal is he fucking cares about you and need someone like that in a time like this." She sat crossed legged on the couch. I shook my head. "I am not telling Kellin. It's too much to throw at him. I haven't seen in years. I just can't. Ok Emma?" I stared directly at her, she stared down. "Ok."

The conversation continued slowly for hours. Emma's phone would buzz periodically and I knew her mind was off in some distant place, certainly not here where it was needed. "Are you gonna be ok?" Emma asked me gently. "I don't even fucking know." I told with raw honesty. "I'm sorry Jaelyn. I really am." She gushed, keeping her eyes on her phone. "Oh shit, I have a date with Gerard...I have to go." She said frantically packing her stuff as she headed for the door. I didn't bother saying goodbye. "I'll see you later, I promise!" Emma shouted behind her. I sat there on the couch all alone feeling lost.