The Pale Horse

When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, "Come." I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth. - Rev 6:7-8 

A cardinal, a monsignor, a religious brother, and two nuns are having a conference.

"Report," the cardinal said.

"There has been a considerable decline in donations due to the new report about the financial scandal in the Church," Sister Agatha reported.

"Although the Church is giving this phony scandal a calm fight, it seems most of the flock actually believe it and is suspicious of helping the Church in a financial way," Sister Claire added.

"Perhaps we are not fighting enough," Monsignor mulled over the thought.

"The Pope and the Church are not interested in responding to all the phony and fake stories going about, but we shall see," Peter Cardinal Dalton responded in a fatherly way. "Next."

"Vatican Bank is continuing its development especially in its technology and monetary transactions," Brother Pedro interjected. "Soon we will restore it to its former glory while adjusting to the needs and technology of the present time."

"How about the bank's charity projects?" the cardinal asked.

"I'm afraid we have to cut the budget for the moment because of the upgrades," the brother responded. "But after that, things will be back to normal."

Brother Pedro Gonzaga is a Mexican who so loved being one. Born to a poor family in the outskirts of Cancun, he longed to live the life of the privileged few who seem to enjoy life every time they go the fabulous beaches nearby and do not worry at all about their next meal. Pedro would gawk at the tourists, noting how they move, what they wear, the expensive things they bring with them. From these observations, young Pedro noted one thing - money. What he learned is that money will move things, even people.

Inspired by the lives of the elite few, he vowed to himself that he will not be contented to a life of poverty. Excelling in school, Pedro was able to secure a scholarship in college for himself. He studied Banking and Finance, and would use his free time earning extra by working in various odd jobs. While painting the fence of a rich family, the patriarch had a conversation with him.

"Hola. Nice job with our fence, chico," greeted the family man.

"Gracias, senor. I need extra money. You see, I'm a student," Pedro answered cheerily.

"What are you studying?"

"Banking and Finance, sir."

The rich man whistled. "That's a good one. Keep it up, I happen to be a banker myself. I might help you in the future."

That chance encounter changed Pedro's life. After his graduation, he was temporarily employed in the bank as a trainee. Seeing his potential and hardwork, the Maya Banco employed Pedro for good. It seems he was a natural banker as whatever he touched seems to turn into gold from investments to closing important deals. Soon, Pedro found himself in a luxurious house with cars and servants to his bidding. He was a frequent guest of expensive hotels, beaches and companies - a pleasurable dream that is now a reality.

But a Higher Being seems to have a different plan for him. A fatal car accident changed Pedro's life entirely.

"I thought I was going to die. I tried to scream but no voice came out. I tried to move but my body cannot do anything at all. I said or perhaps prayed, 'Lord, I can't die.' And then from out of nowhere, I just heard the bell ringing from a nearbyChurch with its cross illuminated. I felt that God is calling me to give my life to Him. So that's the beginning of my religious life."

Pedro Gonzaga eventually entered the Brothers for Mary Order as a late vocation. After years of studies, formation and exposure to many poor areas, he eventually said his vows. But being a natural banker, his superiors thought it best to give him assignments involved in looking after the funds, accounts and expenses of the Order, especially in their main house in Rome.

As scandal rocked the Vatican Bank during the time of Pope Benedict, it was of utmost importance to get the best bankers especially among the religious orders and congregations to remedy the problem in a most discreet way, before tapping the lay faithful for help. Bro. Pedro Gonzaga was one of them.

After the conference was finished, Cardinal Dalton and Brother Pedro lingered to chat about the former's sibling who happened to be the latter's superior.

"To be honest, Your Eminence, Bro. Patrick might not make it for another year. It will be a blessing if he would make it after the operation though," Pedro informed sadly.

"I would miss him. But one has to go if one is called to go," Cardinal Dalton replied. "By the way, I will be needing your help one of these days. I'm putting up a small team. I'll secure permission from your superior. For now, wait for my instruction."