The Power of Three - Part One ✔

Start from the beginning

"I imagine mostly kissing." I say smirking Rory shrugs "Because you two aren't that innocent either." Amy shot back at me while smirking I roll my eyes "I write travel articles for magazines and Rory heals the sick." Amy said "My shift starts in an hour. You don't know where my scrubs are?" Rory asked Amy "In the lounge, where you left them." Amy calls out The Doctor looks at Amy, unused to the domesticity.

The Doctor is setting up equipment with help from me and Amy "Ehh, the Ponds. With their house and their jobs and their everyday lives. The journalist and the nurse. Long way from Leadworth." Doctor said smiling.

"We think it's been 10 years. Not for you or Earth, but for us. 10 years older, 10 years of you. On and off." Amy tells us "Look at you now. All grown up." Doctor said I chuckle "Trap One. Kitchen secured." We hear someone say me, Amy and the Doctor turn around to see armed soldiers at the kitchen door.

"Trap three. Back garden secured." A soldier said over the radio we turn back as Rory is marched back into the kitchen. He has his hands up and is wearing no trousers "There are soldiers all over my house and I'm in my pants." Rory said to us "My whole life, I've dreamed of saying that, and I miss it by being someone else." Amy said.

A woman in her late-forties enters the house, strolling casually between the armed soldiers towards the kitchen.

"All these muscles, and they still don't know how to knock. Sorry about the raucous entrance. Spike in artron energy reading at this address. In the light of the last 24 hours, we had to check it out and, uh, the dogs do love a runout. Hello. Kate Stewart, head of scientific research at UNIT. And, with dress sense like that..." She said and holds a scanner in front of the Doctor's chest "You must be the Doctor. I hoped it'd be you." Kate said.

"Tell me, since when did science run the military, Kate?" Doctor asked her "Since me. UNIT's been adapting. Well, I dragged them along, kicking and screaming, which made it sound like more fun than it actually was." Kate said smiling "What do we know about these cubes?" Doctor asked her.

Kate walks further into the kitchen "Far less than we need to. We've been freighting them in from around the world for testing. So far, we've subjected them to temperatures of +/-200° Celsius, simulated a water depth of 5 miles, dropped one out of a helicopter at 10,000 feet and rolled our best tank over it. Always intact." Kate explains.

"That's impressive. I don't want them to be impressive. I want them vulnerable, with a nice Achilles's heel." Doctor said "We don't know how they got here, what they're made of, or why they're here." Kate said looking at us "And all around the world, people are picking them up and taking them home." Doctor said.

"Like iPads have dropped out of the sky. Taking them to work, taking pictures, making films, posting them on Flickr and YouTube. Within 3 hours, the cubes had 1,000 separate Twitter accounts." Kate tells us "Twitter!" Doctor said disgusted "I've recommended we treat this as a hostile incursion. Gather them all up and lock them in a secure facility, but that would take massive international agreement and cooperation." Kate explained her idea.

"We need evidence. The cubes arrived in plain sight, in vast quantities, as the sun rose. So what does that tell us?" Doctor asked me, Rory and Amy "Maybe they wanted to be seen, noticed." I tell him "Well, more than that. They want to be observed. So we observe them. Stay with them, round the clock. Watch the cubes." Doctor said he tosses a cube in the air and catches it "Day and night. Record absolutely everything about them. Team cube, in it together." Doctor said and kisses the cube.