"Avada Kedavra wouldn't work against me," she told him, retreating from his mind. "I'm surprised, but... Everything makes sense now, I see..."

Snape was outraged. He walked over to her again, wand raised, forgetting all about Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. She grabbed her new wand, pointing it at his chest, just as he placed his against her head.

"Want to check who kills the other first?" she questioned so calmly that Remus was getting nervous. Was that the girl he raised?

"Sawyer!" Hermione stopped a sob, covering her mouth with her hands.

"Have some respect," Snape warned her, poking her head with the wand.

"You're one to speak, traitor of a prince," he heaved a deep breath, knowing she was poking the bear, the monster, in him, trying to get him to lose control. "How pathetic will it be, your death? Would you like to see? I know, and I can see it, you're dying to know as well."

He hesitated, but that was what she needed, the shortest moment of weakness.

And he was knocked out.

"Now, where were we?" she wondered, turning to Remus.

"What did you do?" Hermione called out, "he's a teacher, will he be okay?"

"Yeah, he's fine," Sawyer waved off, "he'll just have a killer headache tomorrow─" her mouth formed an O. That was bad, Snape was part of the plan, she couldn't have him wake up tomorrow, he was supposed to...

Unless...

She would have to make do.

"I don't care anymore," Sirius grinned wickedly as he watched her, "you're my kid."

Remus looked at her with sadness, but one that he himself couldn't even understand. "I think we've spent enough time on that, Ron, could you give me the rat?"

Ron clutched Scabbers closer to his chest.

"Come off it," he said weakly. "Are you trying to say he broke out of Azkaban just to get his hands on Scabbers? I mean..." He looked up at Harry and Hermione for support, "Okay, say Pettigrew could turn into a rat -- there are millions of rats -- how's he supposed to know which one he is after if he was locked up in Azkaban?"

"You know, Sirius, that's a fair question," said Remus, turning to Sirius and frowning slightly. "How did you find out where he was?"

Sirius put one of his claw-like hands inside his robes and took out a crumpled piece of paper, which he smoothed flat and held out to show the others.

It was the photograph of Ron and his family that had appeared in the Daily Prophet the previous summer, and there, on Ron's shoulder, was Scabbers.

"How did you get this?"

"Fudge," Sirius replied. "When he came to inspect Azkaban last year, he gave me his paper. And there was Peter, on the front page on this boy's shoulder...I knew him at once...how many times had I seen him transform? And the caption said the boy would be going back to Hogwarts...to where Harry was..."

"My God," said Remus softly, staring from Scabbers to the picture in the paper and back again. "His front paw..."

"What about it?" said Ron defiantly.

"He's got a toe missing," said Sirius.

"Of course," Remus breathed. "So simple...so brilliant...he cut it off himself?"

"Just before he transformed.When I cornered him, he yelled for the whole street to hear that I'd betrayed Lily and James. Then, before I could curse him, he blew apart the street with the wand behind his back, killed everyone within twenty feet of himself -- and sped down into the sewer with the other rats...."