“Peyton, Peyton, Peyton, love. I’m going to make sure whoever did this to you will pay.”

She was too unconscious to reply, but he took her hand in his and leaned down to kiss her on the lips.

“Thank you, all of you for returning her to me,” Alpha Soren said sincerely. We all but nodded, because Alpha Soren was so entrapped in his wife and child’s needs.  

A pale blond man emerged from the crowed and stood next to Alpha Soren, hovering protectively over Alpha Peyton. “Soren, I think we should send her to our doctor.”

Soren shook his head. “I don’t want to move her around, send for the pack doctor.” His hardened face turned to Lucca and asked. “Is there another available shelter here where I can shelter my family?”

Lucca didn’t reply, thinking, so I answer for him. “You can take the cabin…if my father allows it.” I nearly forgot dad still lived there. Alpha Soren needn’t ask, dad already nodded his head in approval and gave him the directions.

 “Thank you. My gratitude is not enough for what all of you did.” He instructed Nathan to carry his wife, while he held his son. “Please excuse me.” He told us. “Derrick can you get Marielle, Samuel and Ian? I think the kids would like to see their mother.”

The blond man nodded and went his way. I wondered who he was. He was too powerful to be a Beta, but neither did he feel like an Alpha, or not yet near it.

“Luca,” Alpha Soren looked at his battered Beta. “I would like a word with you.”

I was about to speak up and tell him that it wasn’t Beta Luca’s fault that we were taken. That the hunters had

Another one of Alpha Soren’s men, I have not yet been acquainted with, handed him a cloth to wrap his baby with.

“What are you going to name him?” I asked before he retreated to the cabin.

“I’ll wait for my mate to wake up, then we will name him together.” He smiled weakly.

Alpha Peyton’s life was still tipping between life and death; we all knew that from the faint sound of her heart pumping blood throughout her body. She was still alive and that was a good sign. No one—human or wolf—would have survived as long as she did.

“What do I do with him?” Dad dropped the human like a sack of potatoes.

“Throw him in with Jerome. The guys will guard them and the two of them can watch each other.”

What happened to Jerome?

Lucca saw the curiosity in my face and gave me the brief details. “Jerome did something stupid.”

That was all the explanation I needed.

“Where will we be staying?” I asked.

“The upstairs rooms are completely destroyed, but some of the downstairs rooms are still efficient enough for us to use. There will be a draft tonight so we better bundle up.  I was able to grab a few of our things that were left intact.”

He led me inside the house and into the stairwell. I glanced at the spot I had witnessed Luisa get shot.

“Lucca,” I said in a small whisper. He already had my hand in his, but I moved closer to him so that our chests were touching. “Is your mom…?”

The pad of his thumb rubbed under my lower eyelid to stop the stray tear from falling. I wanted to look him in the eyes as he answered, but he held me so tight, my head rested on the curve of his shoulder.