Chapter 13

[Lucca] 

Silence. Except for the thundered growls coming from underneath the blanket as we stood waiting for something to happen.

"Selene-- 

Grant slammed his fist over my chest when I attempted to step forward. 

"Don't get any closer. We're not sure if she or her wolf is in control."

"I don't care," I shot back. 

It would take hot sizzling silver chains to stop me from being with her any second. My mate had shifted and she had been in a lot of pain, because if me. Forcefully claiming her in my sleep, my carelessness to not rein my wolf has physically and mentally hurt her.

"Don't be haste. One mistake could danger her!"

Having my beta arguing with me, made my alpha wolf angry. I felt like putting him in his place, but for now my number one concern is my mate. 

"We can't just stand here doing nothing!" I pleaded.

His eyes narrowed, but like me, we both didn't like seeing Selene suffering. "Be careful..."

I was surprised by the concern in his voice. "I will," I muttered. 

"Not you--the last time she shifted, she attached me out of confusion. Her wolf thought I was the threat and it was difficult for me to restrain her without hurting her."

"So what do you suggest I do?" I was still a little fatigued from the energy drain I felt earlier. 

"I know you want to help her, but as her father you should let me consult her first..." 

He was absolutely absurd, thinking that talking was going to get Selene's wolf to calm down. Although I wasn't particularly willing with his idea, I nodded and he took that sign to proceed with his plan. My mom and I watched as he slowly crept near the bedside.

"Selene, it's your dad. I'm going to remove the blanket okay?"

The growling stopped and Grant thought that was a signal, but once his hand reached forward, her massive body bolted up right like a spring and her sharp jaws nearly clamped onto his wrist. 

Grant was lucky my mom reacted in time to pull him back. He stumbled backwards with a loud thug to the floor. 

My eyes connected to hers instantly: blue and topaz. Awing at how bizarre and beautiful her wolf looked, I absorbed every inch of her into my memory like a copy machine.

Was it rare for wolves to have a pair of different colored eyes?

She was not nearly as large as my wolf, but about the average size of a regular she-wolf. 

Her back arched and her head leveled low in a defensive pose. She bared her shiny white teeth and barked a warning in my direction that made my wolf think it was a challenge.

"Selene!" Her dad shouted for her attention, but she continued to stare mercilessly at me. 

I was the most powerful in the room. A wolf's instinct was always to go for the strongest one of the pack unless the alpha says otherwise. That way, you have full energy to fight the tougher fight. 

That's it...I wasn't going to wait any longer. 

My wolf eagerly waited as my transition completed. My bones morphed and fur elongated from all parts of my body. I groaned, but the shift wasn't as painful as my first time or the experience Selene went through a couple minutes ago.

Next thing I knew, I was on all fours. 

My wolf contrasted hers, being a darker mocha color compared to her light crème. I found it slightly amusing that we could one day be considered the Mocha and Crème Alpha mates...I wondered if our kids would be either white or brown, or maybe spotted.