Chapter 43

[Selene]

My brother, Hunter, hesitantly took my hand. His small fingers grasped mine with a light grip, I knew he wasn't comfortable with me—his sister he had no idea he had. It was so sad to think I had a brother all this time I never new about him. Deep inside the little girl with in me was jealous that he got to experience what it was like to have a family while I felt dejected and thrown away all these years.

Hunter looked straight into our mother's eyes with hope uplifting the corners of his lips, but he didn't comprehend the meaning behind our mother's fake smile. There was no sincerity in the words that past our mother's lips when she called to him with such endearment.

The woman I loved long ago was gone...this person is vile and I didn't need my wolf to sense it.

"Mommy's poor baby! Give me back my handsome little boy and I'll not hurt your dirty mutt."

That mutt was the person who dedicated his whole life to adore her—his mate. I couldn't stand the way she spoke of my dad like he was a piece of dirt.

My jaw tensed as I clamped my teeth together so hard it almost hurt.

"Mommy!" Hunter lifted his hands up as if asking her to come pick him up.

I held his hand tighter and he tried pulling away from me.

"Selene, get back here. Right now!" Alpha Soren yelled.

I ignored him and stepped forward another couple steps.

"Selene, stop." Dad coughed as he struggled to talk.

"Shut up." The man next to him kicked him on the side of the rib causing him to fall sideways.

Hunter 's fingers twitched in my grasp, but he wasn't at all affected by seeing my dad being hurt. He saw our mother motioning him to come towards her.

"Some here sweetheart. Come to mommy! Those people are bad! Don't mingle with them or you will turn into stinky beastly creatures like them too!"

Her words left a bitter taste in my mouth. She was saying nonsense to scare him. Had she told him that being werewolf was some kind of disease? She was brainwashing her child to be as crazy as she was!

"You..." I said.

Her eyes snapped at me as if she just realized I was here. Her gaze met mine. Her expression turned blank as I looked at her with pure hate. This woman was the reason I had hated who I was for the past few years. I still remember the day she looked at me and basically called me a monster.

In a split second she was grinning at me like a conniving cat. "My, my, looks like you got the good looks from my side of the gene pool. How have you been dear? I can see you and Hunter have been acquainted?"