“No one is sober enough to take me to the ER and I can’t walk all that way on a gimpy leg.”

“I’ll carry you,” I offered without giving it any second thought. She just laughed a little and shook her head.

“You would regret saying that after you tried picking me up.”

“Nah, I doubt that. Come on I’ll take you on my back. Then you’ll get all stitched up and the doctors will call your parents and they can take you home.”

“Why aren’t you at home?” She tilted her head to the side changing the subject.

 “I just needed to get away for a little bit and clear my head.” My voice stumbled over my words as I debated on what I would share. I didn’t want her to rat me out or lead anyone to me.

She nodded and we both got quiet for a while. I couldn’t expect her to understand how I was feeling, for all I knew she had ideal living and family situations.

           “Here” I suggested turning around so she could get on my back.

           “Kaden,” She sighed inwardly and then shook her head and surrendered. “Fine, just promise that we won’t be seen.” At first I was a little provoked, the thought that she was too ashamed to be seen with me. But she quickly corrected herself. “I don’t wanna get noticed and then get stuck explaining. I could bleed out remember.”                                           

“Being invisible is my specialty.” I smirked as she jumped up on my back. We exited through a door in the back that only opened from the inside. I skirted around the shadows as I got farther form the warehouse and closer to the hospital.

The nurse at the front desk was quick to get her admitted to a room. “Don’t leave me,” she demanded while being set in a wheel chair.

I gave her a sympathetic look and shook my head. “I can’t,” was all I got out before she went through the doors.

“What’s your name?” the lady from the front desk asked me. Waves of fear and goose bumps consumed me. Instincts told me to say my name, but common sense knew I couldn’t leave a trace here. It would be all over town in the morning that I was missing and I was planning for it to stay that way.

I brushed my hands off on my sides looking to buy some more time to think. My entire left side was soaked in her blood, we must’ve looked like we had just came from a murder scene. “Excuse me sir, are you okay?” The nurse asked again, this time she stood up and reached down towards the phone. I think I was making her nervous. I found that my voice was trapped in my lungs and all I could do was take deep breaths. The room started to spin at the idea of being caught and put back in another home consumed my entire being.

“Thank you,” My answer was sharp and panicked.  All I could think about was all of the eyes on me, taking in my description, making mental notes of how I stood and what color my eyes were. I stood frozen for an eternity as my brain combed through all of the possibilities. It was almost as if I was waiting for Child Services to be called and haul me away.

There was only one thing that was completely certain of; I had to get out of there and back to my hide out.

Most of the kids at the bonfire had calmed down. Some were in their cars and others just laid in the sand and in blankets by the dimming fire. For the most part the screaming and the partying had stopped. I couldn’t go in through the shattered window in front without being spotted so I had to come up with a new plan. I hadn’t thought to leave the door propped open so I could get back in, so it was going to have to be through a window.