Chapter 4

Walking away from Luke, Cody and Kat didn't give me a free pass of ditching the wolf pack. Sure they let me go back to class as if nothing had happened but I dreaded the bell that took me to lunchtime. It was strange to find my friends had alienated me, they saw me with Luke, they texted me questions voicing their concerns but I couldn't give any logical answers. So when they didn't come to find me at lunch or inquire where I had been when I finally made my way to our table I knew they were upset. I sat down quietly, not saying anything and not prepared to eat, I just didn't have the heart to eat a sandwich and pretend nothing had happened to me. 

"Kyla, there's blood on your hand." One of my friends said. 

I looked on the hand I had punched Luke in the face with, the blood was all mine I could smell it. I just shrugged and continued staring off into the distance. 

"Did he hit you?" Someone pointed their head in Luke's direction as he walked into the cafeteria. 

"No." I said not really wanting to bother giving her anymore information. I knew it would just turn into gossip no matter what I said. My attention was focused on Luke, it was annoying this pull, as if my own heart was betraying me. 

I couldn't open my heart to him because of how he'd mistreated me. I didn't want him to abandon me again, it was too much to bare. No one enjoys being played. I looked away from him suddenly and turned my attention back on my friends. They were all staring at me with heavy concern. 

"What?" I said confused. 

"We know he drove you to school today, why didn't you tell us?" 

"Tell you what?" I was confused there was nothing romantic going on between Luke and I. 

"Aren't you two dating?" 

Oh boy, it'd been two days of this nonsense and now my friend's weren't making any sense. I hadn't responded yet because someone had gripped my shoulder pretty tightly. I already could tell who it was and it wasn't helping my case. I stood up to face him. 

"Hello dear, it's been a while." 

No, this friendliness was so faked I could taste it. I put on my own fake smile. He wanted me to leave I could tell. He looked to my friends before speaking to me in a low tone that I could hear now thanks to him. 

"We need to talk. Now." 

I nodded, I didn't want to be alone in this no matter how stubborn I could be. I waved goodbye to my friends but they didn't wave back. He took me by the waist as we walked out of the cafeteria and I let him, I didn't want to cause a scene. Kat and Cody followed behind us. 

"Oh yeah there's nothing there." I could hear one of my friends snickering behind my back, if only they knew the truth. Once we were away from everyone I freed myself from Luke's grasp. I could still feel the heat of where he held me and I wished I wouldn't. 

"What is it?" I asked as politely as I could. 

"Kyla, you can't hang around your old friends anymore and avoid the pack. You and I hold it together." 

"Hold it together? I don't understand. You don't even have affectionate feelings for me." 

"The words I say don't hurt if they're not true." His blue eyes held truth and that brought me pain. 

"So you do think that i'm weak, and that i'm not as good as Ashley might have been? That's nice." I nodded and sniffled a little, I didn't want to be so upset about this but I've always been pitied and it didn't feel good. 

He looked stuck I'd seen quite bipolar to him lately, yesterday I was naked in front of him wearing his clothes, today I tried to hurt him and now I was about to break down and cry in front of him and his two betas.