"Are you sure he won't wake Josh?"

"I...I'm sure." Cal unconsciously tightened his hold on Ethan as he watched Simon slowly approach with the other child.

Ethan didn't know what exactly to make of the tall man tearing up his home and now carrying his friend. But Josh was still asleep so maybe it was okay. Mr. Simon was lucky; Josh tended to be kind of grumpy when he got woken up before he was ready.

"Oh shit." JJ's voice trailed off into a horrified whisper as he saw his boyfriend and the boy in his arms. "Tell me that's not Josh and he's not..."

"JJ." Cal stopped him before he could say the terrible word in front of Ethan. "You haven't met Josh's friend yet. His name is Ethan."

"H'lo." Ethan looked at the new stranger with the funny big hair and felt an instant liking for the man.

"Oh, hey there kiddo." JJ met the bright gaze of the child and couldn't stop the smile that curled his lips. He was rewarded with a wide grin in return that sent a rush of warmth through his heart. His arms were reaching out almost automatically when a sudden cry made him jerk in surprise.

"Cal! JJ!"

Simon stared down at the face of the boy in his arms, his blue eyes wide as they focused on the parted lips. There! He hadn't imagined it!

"He's alive! Cal!" Dropping to his knees, Simon cradled the child in one arm and frantically searched for a pulse, his fingers trembling with emotion. Yes! Faint and erratic but definitely there.

"Guys are you ready for the taxi...?"

"He's alive! Deji, say hi to Ethan." Cal fairly tossed the boy into the confused younger man's arms. "Ethan, get Deji to tell you some jokes"

"H'lo." Ethan ran the fingers of one hand down the front of the new man's leather jacket and marvelled at how soft it felt. His gold chain was pretty cool too. Actually he looked a bit like Mr JJ.

"Hey kiddo. You don't have to keep stroking the jacket. I can tell you rate it but you don't need to be all over it"

"You talk funny. Say something else."

"Oh, great. I suddenly feel like I'm in a dog show. Speak Deji. Do tricks Deji." Though it sounded like he was truly put out, the young man emphasised certain words to make his speech pattern sound even stranger. Ethan's pleased giggle was a good reward. "Do you want me roll over or balance a ball on my nose?"

"Yeah!"

Deji did his best to keep Ethan distracted while turning so that he could watch his fellow friend's and brother as they attended to the other child, hoping the taxi driver was patient enough to wait. Then again, they might be calling for an ambulance instead.

"He's alive Cal! I can feel his pulse."

"Alright, Simon. Let me take a look at him." Cal pushed his friend's hand away so that he could also check the life signs. He controlled his own enthusiasm as he focused on his one emergency first aid course his mum had once forced him to go on, trying to remember what he'd learnt.

"His breathing is shallow, skin's too cool, pulse erratic, eyes are dull but pupils responsive. Probably dehydrated, I think I remember something about kidneys maybe shutting down... definitely malnourished." Despite the child's young age, Cal checked both arms for needle tracks and was relieved to see there were none. Gently, he began running his hands down the boy's chest, easily counting each rib, then the abdomen... a faint whimper made him stop.

"Here, lift his shirt, let me see his stomach."

The dirty cloth was pulled back to reveal another band of fabric wrapped and tied around the boy's waist. The material might have once been a pale yellow or off-white but a large, rust colored stained covered much of it.

"What the fuck?" Simon couldn't hold back the shocked exclamation.

Cal felt the same way but continued his examination, using JJ's penknife to cut away the bandage rather than fumble with the knot. "Not too bad, it did bleed a lot but someone's kept it clean. It looks a little red but I think it's healing. I'm no expert but I think cause he hasn't been eating much he can't replace the blood lost and he's probably had a fever which is why he's out of it."

Taking the new gauze, Cal ripped the plastic off. "Let me just cover ..."

"Cal?"

Strong fingers wrapped tightly around the man's wrist and a pair of piercing blue eyes demanded an answer.

"I can't tell you for sure, Si, I'm going off a three hour training course I took four years ago. I probably can't see a lot of the hidden stuff." And what he could see was that a more expert opinion was wanted. "Just looking at him I'd say a fifty-fifty chance. The actual bullet wound may not..."

"Bullet wound?!" This time it was JJ who interrupted, his dark brows drawing together in a surprised scowl.

"Well, look for yourself JJ, you've watched enough action films to notice a bullet wound when you see one." Cal gently but firmly freed his arm and proceeded to bandage the injury while he spoke.

Deji overheard enough of the conversation to understand that the injured boy had actually been shot. A sudden thought made him focus on the child in his arms.

"Ethan, have there been men with guns in this building?"

"Nuh-uh."

"Ah, well, so much for that theory..."

"But the trolls in the other building have guns."

"Trolls?"

Simon looked up as he heard the talk of guns. There'd been a few recent reports in the news and rumours going around that there were illegal arms dealers setting up shop in this part of London, who were supposedly responsible for three murders. Great, that was all they needed.

Ethan nodded his head and held his hands up to his face, cupping them around his eyes. "Yeah, they have big black eyes and they only come out at night. They've got guns and live under the floor." He looked over his shoulder to where the other men sat around his sleeping friend. "We was outside looking at stars and heard'em playing with their guns. Josh said we ought to come back inside and then he yelled really loudly and grabbed his belly."

Deji met the gazes of the others. "Night-vision goggles?"

"And maybe there's a sewage system that runs underneath." JJ nodded his head in agreement. "Fucking hell, we might have just helped solve a fucking crime lads."

Before Simon could respond, the sudden grating of a door being swung stiffly open had all four men's heart leaping to their throats.

"Alright fellas?" the London cabbie called out, pausing in the doorway as he took in the strange sight that lay before him. Deciding to save his questions for later, he turned slightly and gestured outside. "You still be wanting me? I can't wait around forever."

Thanks again to everyone voting!