Chapter One

Chapter One  

        I like to run.

        Run so hard and so fast that I can feel the whiplash from my ponytail, and the cold wind biting my pale cheeks. I could easily outrun my fraternal twin, Bentley, but if anyone asks he'll say that he let me win on purpose. People will believe him of course, even after seeing for themselves just how good I am.

        I mean, it is me we're talking about here.

        Allison Bethany Reid. The girl who has been excused from every PE class in her life; whose parents don't allow her to jog, let alone sprint, and watches her when she walks. Even when my body inevitably betrays me and forces me to stop running, I know that I was born to do this. When I run I am in control. It's the only time I can break through the mold people have shaped for me, and I don't feel the way the entire universe sees me as.

        Weak. Fragile. Breakable. 

        My addiction to running is a secret between my brother and me. If word ever got out about it to my parents they would never let me leave the house or run again. They are so overprotective, fearing that at any moment my body could turn against me. They've already brought up the home-schooling card once before — I wouldn't doubt them to bring it up again the next time I have an attack.

        I'm not sure if Bentley keeps my secrets because we once shared the same womb, but he completely understands me. He gets that running is what I do to feel alive and normal again; to escape the pain and for a moment forget that I have a heart condition that may or may not kill me one day.

        So about once a week Bentley lets me run, if and only if, I tell him where I am and that the moment I feel like I'm having an attack that I will call him. I also have to bring him home something to eat on occasion; it's as if he is eating for two people. I swear, that boy has an endless pit for a stomach.

        I am running, full sprint, on a worn out path in Jefferson park. The sun is out, spreading its warm yellow rays that competes with the chilly fall wind, and nearly numbs off my face. The bright yellow, sunset orange, and cherry red leaves greet me with a satisfying sound in each step I take, crunching under my sneakers.  

        Suddenly, I stop, and my last breath hangs in the air. A deep gasp escapes from my lungs as they struggle to take in another breath. It's as if someone is stabbing me in the chest with a fire poker. The left side of my chest begins to ache like nothing I have ever felt before and it nearly causes me to double over. I put my hands on my knees, my breaths coming out rugged and forced, and continue to attempt to stay calm. "No, no, please no," I whisper to myself. 

        The world is spinning around me, and my heart is beating wildly in my chest, its rapid thumps making blood rush to my head. My heart sounds as if it may finally give up on me and just implode like all of my doctors have predicted.

        'Damn it!' 

        I clench my teeth and splay a hand over the painful searing sensation building in my chest, as if that'll stop it from hurting any less. I groan as the pain steadily increases. Well, it was worth a try, I guess.

        An old man walking his dog approaches me with a furrow in his brow, worry glinting in his eye. "Sweetie, are you okay? Do you need any help?"  

        Beads of sweat form on my temple. I don't realize just how hard I am biting on my lips until I start tasting blood. Even though I'm feeling light-headed I manage to slowly lift my head and meet the old man's gaze. "I-I'm fine, Sir. Really. But, thank you."