Chapter Thirty Six

Laken Rivera

Shade called everyone in early to prepare for the party. Tonight was the night and although I was worried about EJ, I wasn't going to let it ruin my night. I just had to let him do him and let him face his fate.

"Laken, hang those up by the DJ." Shade said as she held up a banister by the front of the entrance. 

I took the red shiny streamers and went over to the DJ who was preparing his playlist. I took some tape that was left on the stage and pinned one end of the streamer.  I hung it across the stage and sealed the other end with some more tape.

"You got the playlist?" I asked the DJ as I watched him move from one laptop to another.

"Damn right...about to have this joint bumpin'." He said, giving me a big smile.

I smiled back and turned around, looking at Shade who came down from the ladder that Kevin was holding steady. She stood back and looked at the banner, "look at him."

"Would have been real proud of you for holding this place up, Shade. I'm gon' go start cooking..." He said, walking over to the kitchen.

I approached Shade and admired the banner with her. I smiled and looked at her as she wiped a tear from her eye.

"Why you crying?"

"I just miss him, Laken. We were real close...this is his only legacy and I'm just happy I was able to keep it alive. But, before I fuck up my makeup..."

She wiped her tears carefully and blinked a couple of times. She shook it off and smiled, "go get gussied up, girl. I want all my employees to look nice. Please be back here by eight, that's when doors open."

"Got you...I'll see you later, Shade."

I left the rink and walked over to the beauty shop to get my hair done. I walked in and saw everyone at their usual stations. I looked at Josephine who gave me a big smile, "hey Laken."

"Hey Josephine...Tessie...everyone." I waved at everyone. They all greeted me back. "Anyone going to the rink later on?" I asked as I sat in Ms. Josephine's chair. She fingered my hair and puffed it up some.

"Yeah, we all going. What you want to do with the monster, baby girl?" She smiled as she kept playing with my hair.

"I want it bone straight." I told her.

"Oh you looking all pretty for the boys, huh?" She smiled bigger.

I giggled, "no. I am done with guys for now."

"What happened...don't you still go out with that boy Emmanuel?" Josephine asked.

"No, we broke up. He has unfinished business to take care of." I said.

"Aw, I'm sorry to hear that baby girl. But if it's meant to be, it'll be. One way or another...come, let's get this washed."

After Josephine did my hair, she wrapped it with pins before spraying it and removing the towel from my shoulders.

"Take them out when your ready, alright?"

"Alright...thank you, Josephine." I handed her thirty dollars.