Chapter Thirty

Emmanuel Jackson

  I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I'd seen the last of Nicole after the day I shot her and the nigga she was talking to. I look back at that day and I regret it wholeheartedly. It was much harder to control my anger but it's been better since I've gotten with Laken.

"Wait...Nicole?" I said her name once again, in shock that she was really back on Fourth Street. "It's really you?"

She looked at me with her soft eyes. A small smile creased her lips and she giggled off the awkwardness. I was a bit surprised she wasn't running away or cursing me out. "Emmanuel Jackson." She came closer to me with her arms crossed, "your not in jail yet?"

"Yet? You know I'm too smart to be in the pen." I said referring to my street smarts. "Forgot about me already?"

"I tried...unfortunately it was too hard. How you been, E? It's been awhile." She kept her eyes on me.

"It's been great...I should be asking you what's been going on. Why you back here?"

"Family ran into some financial problems...couldn't pay for our house...got evicted...now we back here staying with my grandma." She said with disappointment. "I'm back for now."

I couldn't describe what I was feeling.  I was getting the same butterflies in my stomach I got when I first met her. I was really in shock to see her again.

"Welcome back."

"Don't say that. I don't plan on staying long. Hopefully my parents will get it together in a couple months."

I nodded and kept my eyes on her. She was still very beautiful. Always had her hair in a silky press, beautiful light brown eyes and these irresistible ass lips. Kind of reminded me why I went so crazy over her.

"You staring real hard."

I snapped out of my gaze, "my fault. I just can't believe you acting so cool right now. Should be beating my ass."

"Why? Because you shot me and my friend?" She glared at me. I stood there, feeling a bit ashamed. "Listen EJ, after I recovered I spent endless hours in the church. Spritual healing. My pastor told me they key to moving on is to let go of all the negative factors that hold you back."

That depressed me a bit.

"I forgive you, E. I'm not mad about it anymore. That's behind us, right?"

"Right." There was another awkward silence, "so what you doing tonight? Maybe hit up Stanley's or something?"

"Actually I was with my friend. He said he was on his way to meet me here."

"Oh ok well I'm gon' go get me some food."

I walked into the store and ordered my sandwich. I went to the back and picked up a bummy. On my way back to the front, I picked up some  plantain chips for Laken since they were her favorite.

"One BLT."

The cashier put my sandwich in the bag along with my other stuff. I paid him with a five and took my change. I went outside and saw Nicole wasn't at the front. I looked up and down the street and saw she was slowly walking in the direction of Stanley's with her friend.