Chapter Thirty One

Emmanuel Jackson

"So E...this that Bob marley. You know Bob Marley?" My father said to me as he locked on his bike to the pole. He had his mini radio in the basket in front of it.

"He the one that always smoking...like you, right? "

He chuckled, "yeah you right. Other than a pot head, he was real down to earth. You were conceived to Bob Marley, you know that right?" He started chuckling as he saw how confused I was.

"Don't worry about it, little man. What you want from the store?"

"Just fries..."

After we got our food we went back home and we walked up to our little apartment.  He opened the door to our house that smelled heavily of plants. My mother was sitting on the table, with a bunch of clear bags with green stuff in it. Some even had white powder in them.

"Unique...you hungry?" My father asked as he put the food on the kitchen counter that was really dirty. No one ever cleaned around the house.

"No, we got get these going. You know Jango on our ass about how much money we owe him." She said, gathering the bags dividing them between pockets.

"Why Jango always trippin? Man see a brother strugglin' to take care of his family and he got the audacity to ask for money from me?"

"Not like he asked you for money out of no where. He been asking us to sell this shit for the longest to pay him back, Dizzy. We been slacking and he gonna come for us if we don't have that money by tonight."

"How the fuck we gon' make one thousand in a night?"

"Bust our ass...Emmanuel go pack ya bag you staying with Shade for the night." My mother ordered me.

I went in my room and grabbed my bag from beside my mattress that had to sit on the floor. I stuffed the little clothes that I had in there since I knew staying with Shade was automatically for more than just one night. When I was done, I swung my bag over my shoulder and watched as their argument got more heated.

"Unique that nigga gon' fucking kill us! What about our son, yo?"

"We gon' be fine if we hurry up and get out there! What about EJ? You don't think I'm scared too, Dizelno?" My mom yelled back in his face.

"You ain't scared enough. Let's just make a run for it, Nique. We sell, make a little bit of money then leave before he come looking for us."

"Where we gon' go Dizelno? The most we can make is five hunnit. Where that gon' get us?" She started yelling with more feeling in her voice. She started pacing the floor with her face red. She didn't even realize I was watching.