3- beach

Shawn.

It's extremely hot this afternoon, even hotter than yesterday.

So, we decide that we're going to go in the ocean today to cool ourselves off.

"Last one to the water is a rotten egg!" I yell, taking off towards the ocean.

"That game is for 5 year olds, are we really gonna play that?" Brian whines.

"Yup." Ian says as he runs.

"Yes, and I already have a lead!" I laugh, still running. "Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnndddd I win," I say, beating everyone else to the water. "Bow down to your king."

And of course, Ian comes next, then Brian loses. "Brian's the rotten egg!" Ian yells as Brian reaches us.

"Oh, come on, you guys are such babies." Brian rolls his eyes.

"Ian, do you smell that? Something smells disgusting." I joke.

"Oh, yeah. It's really bad, what is that? Smells like rotten eggs." Ian plays along.

"I really hate you guys you know." Brian complains.

"What was that? I'm too distracted by this distracting smell." I say, laughing.

"Okay fine!" Brian yells. "I'm the rotten egg." he crosses his arms over his chest.

We all burst out laughing.

"Let's go wave jumping!" Ian suggests.

We agree, then go into the water and swim out a bit until we can barely touch. The water is cold, but it feels extremely nice compared to the hot sun.

It keeps us entertained for hours, until we get bored and decide to go inside to eat a snack. I grab a bag of chips and put them in a bowl, while Brian grabs some cold Pepsi from the fridge.

We take it all outside, sitting on the lawn chairs under the sun umbrella.

"You know, I could get used to this," I say, out of the blue. "Living on the beach, no snow, not a care in the world, I mean, I love the snow but I also really don't."

"But what about your life, Shawn?" Brian mentions. "You can't make a living out of sitting on the beach, now can you?"

"Brian, why do you always have to be the mood-ruiner?" I ask.

"I'm just trying to be realistic, Shawn. You can't just sit around your whole life thinking money grows on trees!"

"Woah, woah, woah, Brian what's gotten into you?" Ian asks, sounding just as confused as I am with our best friend's grouchy behaviour.

"I'm just simply stating that all of you should take a step back into reality, because what you're talking about is not realistic in the slightest." he says rudely.

"Chill, Brian. We're jut trying to have a little fun." I say defensively.

"Well thinking about the future is not something I want to do right now. And it most definitely is not fun." He storms off back into the house, leaving the two of us speechless.

"What's wrong with him?" I ask Ian.

"I don't know, but it's best we don't worry about it. Let's just let him breathe for a bit, it's probably just the heat or something."

"You're right," I smile.

A bit later, Brian comes back out.

"Look guys, I'm really sorry for the way I acted before, I guess I'm just... worried about the future. I have no idea what I want to do with my life and it scares me." Brian confesses.