Chapter 11

I traded off with Tierney during the night and slept. I told her specifically to wake me if she heard any movements at all. I guess she didn't get spooked or hear anything because I slept through the night and into the early time of the next morning. When I woke up I heard the small voice of Tierney outside, she sounded frusterated.

I rose and went outside to greet her, she was trying to start a fire but was unsuccessful. I knelt down beside her and took the flint from her hands.

"I wanted to make you breakfast" Was all she said.

I touched the side of her face gently and smiled as I struck the flint together. In less than 10 seconds a nicely lit fire was roaring before us. "I'll teach you sometime." I promised as I was cutting up the deer meat into one inch cubes.

The previous night I was able to locate a few edible plants, mint leaves and a few vegetables I recognized, potatoes, onions, carrots and peppers. I cubed those as well and put a few vegetables onto the sticks and added a few meat cubes. I then searched the area for a large flat rock and used it as a pan for our shish kabobs.

"You are a good cook" Tierney said as she watched me carefully flipping the shish kabobs to fully cook them.

I smiled and pushed a strand of her short hair out of her face. "I learned from my mother, except the cake making I learned that from my father."

"My dad died, he got sick one year and never got better." Tierney said.

"I lost my brother, he was the male tribute for my district the year I went in." I admitted to her.

"I'm so sorry Aloe." She said to me.

We stared at one another for a long time before she finally spoke.

"I think the food is done." She said to me.

I looked down and sure enough it was done but I wanted it well done to make sure it was fully cooked. A few more minutes should do. I pulled out some of our bread and threw it on the rock to warm up. When they were warm enough I used my old shirt to wrap around my hands to protect them from the heat and lifted up the rock with our food on it and moved it into the tent.

When the food was settled inside I stomped out the fire and kicked dirt over it to hide it from anyone who may pass us by. After I quickly refilled our water canteens and then headed inside.

Tierney had taken the time while I was out of the tent to take some of the extra non shish kabobbed meat and put it between two pieces of bread for sandwiches. When I took my seat she handed me one before she grabbed one herself.

"Two sandwiches and two shish kabobs each." I told her as I set her water by her.

"I wonder what Katniss is eating" Tierney said before she took a bite. "This is good." she added.

I had almost forgotten my friend Katniss. She had been out on her own for almost three days. I hadn't seen her picture in the sky so she was still alive which was a good thing. I wanted to look for her but it would be a suicide mission that may lead to nothing. At the worst case senerio one of us would die, I didn't want to chance Tierney's life like that. We were safe and sound and had food and that was good enough. I just wished Katniss would come back.

"You should eat" Tierney said to me.

I looked down and realized I hadn't ate anything yet. I started eating and finished in less than 15 minutes. After we let our food settle I took her outside and taught her how to start a fire, how to control its heat and how to successfully put it out. When she had grasped the skill to my satisfaction I began packing a backpack for myself.

"What are you doing? Are we leaving?" she asked me.

I shook my head. "No I am leaving, I am going to go look for Katniss and I need you to stay-"

"-NO! Please don't leave me here I don't want to be alone. Please, I can help." Tierney begged.

I looked at her and saw once another the frightened little girl that melted me to want to protect her. I couldn't leave, but I couldn't leave Katniss out there alone. The only agreeable option I could live with was to bring Tierney with me.

"Okay you can come." I said as I brought her into my arms with a warming hug.

"If I ever live to have children I want a daughter just like you." I said as I hugged her.

She smiled and kissed me on my cheek. "I wish you were my mom" She said to me.

I leaned away gently and looked gently into her blue eyes. "Why on earth would you want that. You have a mother that you love right?"

She looked at me and slowly shook her head. "I haven't had a real mother since my father died. My mother and I were never close since she realized that I would never be normal. It was my father that I was closest to. Then he died and my mother hit me and locked me out of the house and made me feed myself."

My mouth dropped as I looked at this adorable angelic tiny child. How could anyone abuse her like that. I felt my eyes tear up and immeadiately I brought her into my arms.

"I'm so sorry honey." I pressed gentle kisses on her face as I rocked her in my arms. "I won't let anyone hurt you anymore I promise."

Outside a cannon blast was heard. Who died?