Chapter 22

I held my parents in my arms for several minutes happy that they were here. Then I realized that they were wearing Avox uniforms. I looked at them waiting for someone to speak but no words came.

"Mom?" I whispered as I brought my fingers to her lips.

She shook her head and mouthed something. It took me several moments to realize what she was trying to say. Can't speak. She can't speak and if she can't speak nor could my father or Tierney.

I clutched my head as I dropped to my knees on the ground and began rocking back and forth. After a few moments I screamed at the top of my lungs. I was infuriated at this situation. I had my freedom stolen and then I was sold and expected to get married. Now my family had their tongues cut off and they were forced to serve me.

"Jackson!" I screamed

I heard quick footsteps coming towards me before the door opened.

"Calli?" He said in what sounded like a worried tone.

Without looking up from the ground I pointed my hand at my family.

"What are they doing dressed like that." I asked.

I could feel my arm trembling from the anxiety and stress of the situation. I would be surprised if I didn't have any grey hairs after today.

I heard footsteps walking over to my side before gentle hands were on my shoulders. "I will sort this out I promise." He whispered in my ear. I looked into his eyes they looked kind and honest and I trusted him.

"Do they need to serve us?" I asked.

I heard the doors opened and in walked Cinna. Great what was he doing here?

"President Finnick assigned me to your family Mr. Ripper" He said.

Jackson rose to his feet bringing me with him and nodded. He walked forward and shook Cinna's hand. "It's a pleasure sir, I have heard good things about your work."

I watched Cinna closely. He looked at me and then to my parents in the back and his eyes widened. Jackson dismissed the Avoxes and then left me and Cinna in the room alone. After a few moments of awkward silence he finally spoke.

"So I see you have decided to bring my friends in as your servants." He began.

I shook my head. "They are my parents."

Cinna's face seemed to grown frusturated when his eyes flickered to mine.

"Too bad they can't speak to confirm this ludicrous claim."

That was the last straw. I moved forward and pushed him.

"Some friend you are eh you can't even recognize me to save your own life. I'm Aloe! I am Aloe!" I took a deep breath to try and relax myself before I spoke again. "Remember when I was sitting in the remake room and you said I didn't trust you, I replied 'I'm sorry if that offends you but I don't exactly know you sir' -"

"-Trust is gained not given." He finished.

I nodded my head and smiled. His expression was absolute shock. He moved forward and brought his arms around me pulling me into a hug.

"Dear child what have they done to you?"

Tears were welling up in my eyes as I felt relieved he now believed me. "Finnick he turned my parents into avoxes."

"I am terribly sorry that I didn't believe you. I didn't want to believe it. My friends daughter being sold like an item." He shook his head trying to dispell the thought.

"You don't need to worry Cinna, Jackson is a good man he will treat me right." I replied.

"I just would rather see you have a choice."

I looked at him and saw the sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry about Katniss. Everything I did, choosing Tierney over her, kicking her out of the tent-"

Cinna brought his index finger to his lip to silence me. "You did nothing wrong."

I felt the tears making a jail break from my eyes. I could no longer hold them in. Everything from watching my friend die trying to save me. Cinna not being able to recognize me, being sold and forced into matrimony and seeing my parents and Tierney as Avoxes. This was all too much. I broke into heavy tears not caring who was watching or the sight of me bawling like a baby. I deserved to cry. I needed to cry.