Chapter 2:Roland and Home?

Chapter 2: Roland and Home?

*Several months earlier*

Jake's P.O.V

I slowly counted as I finished my sit ups. They were part of my morning warm up before a footy match. Once I had finished them, I moved onto hand weights. These were harder than the sit up and wore me out quicker. I huffed and puffed while I was doing them.

I was finished with them quicker than the sit ups though, so I walked out of my small room, all it consisted of was a double bed, a built in wardrobe and a bed side table. I had all my footy gear sitting on my bed waiting for when my Dad Gary showed up to take me to my footy game. That's if he shows up— stupid jerk. No, I shouldn't be saying that, this guy is my father.

I went into our kitchen slash dining room. We had small house and it only had one bedroom, and Mum gave it to me, so she sleeps on the couch whenever she does sleep. I tell her she needs to sleep more, but she never listens. She is trying to hard to give me a better life, but what she doesn't understand is that I don't care, I'm fine the way we are, I just want her to stop over working herself.

I go over to the ironing board, and ironing my Mum Sarah, a new cover for one of her jobs. She works two jobs, and only just covers the rent. Dad doesn't bother to do anything with his life. He's like the world biggest loser, and not as in fat— as in loser. And he thinks it is fine to borrow money off of people, and never give it back.

I walked back into the more kitchen part of the room and started to make mum some breakfast, her favourite, bacon, lettuce and tomato. Or a BLT if you want to be smart— it's the least I can do for her in the mornings. I'm not normally nice to people, just my Mum, my Dad is too much of a deadbeat for me to really have much care towards him. Mum works so hard for me. And there is barely anything I can do for her in return.

So this is what I do. I do things for her in the morning that make sure she is taking care of herself, which is making her food and letting her sleep as much as possible, and have her not worry about her work gear.

I sat the BLT on a plate nicely, and walked into the lounge where Mum was asleep on the couch. She looked so beat, sometimes I just never want her to wake up, so she can have a nice long break and not have to worry so much, or at least for her to give up one of her shifts.

I gently nudge her on the shoulder making her come around from her much needed sleep. Fuck she looked wreaked after this last shift. She turned her head and looked me for a quick second before returning to her previous position,

"Hmm, Jakie, I couldn't keep my eyes open," I smiled and moved the plate towards her, hoping to entice her to get up and eat, as much as I wanted her to continue sleeping.

"I made you your favourite—" Mum turned to look at me with her eyes open, looking both tired and worried, "—Bacon, lettuce and tomato," she reached her hand up grabbed the plate, sitting up. As she was moving to sit up she asked me,

"Won't you be late?" I knew she was talking about my footy game, I normally walk but—

"No, Dad called. He's going to drive me to the game," Mum looked at me with narrowed eyes messing about but her initial worry was still there. I know I shouldn't really trust Dad to take me to my game, but he promised he would this time. I smiled at Mum,

"Really," Mum finished sitting up and looked at me. While she was looking at me, I pointed behind me to show her the uniform I ironed,

"I ironed a fresh uniform for you," Mum put her plate down on the bench in front of us, coming over to me. She grabbed my head and gave me a kiss on the temple,