Chapter Twenty-Four

Kylle found it remarkably entertaining to bother Ives while he was trying to get ready for the Junior Prom when the night came. Ives was fairly certain that she was jealous that she wasn't going, but her self-imposed dating rules made it impossible for her to go, because she refused to go on a date with a junior boy when she was a senior.

It didn't help that Ives already felt incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of going to a school dance, now that he was getting ready for it. His discomfort had nothing to do with Tomi, though, he was happy to conclude. It was just that he didn't feel like himself when he was dressed up in a shiny red dress shirt and a suit. At least he wasn't forced to wear a tie, and his black shoes were more like sneakers than dress shoes.

Tomi's parents brought him over so that Ives wouldn't have to backtrack to the school after picking Tomi up. According to Tomi's warnings, his parents were a bit uncomfortable with him going to the prom, but they were trying not to show it. Ives could see it, though, when they came into the house with Tomi.

On the other hand, Tomi looked happy. He wore a black suit much like Ives', with a violet shirt and black sneakers – Ives had suggested he not waste effort on fancy shoes because he wasn't going to, either. Ives didn't care if Tomi's parents were right there, he hugged him tightly.

"Why purple?" Ives asked curiously as he let go.

Tomi smiled. "Thought I'd like to match your eyes."

Ives grinned. "I like that idea. Maybe I should have worn green."

"There's always next year," Tomi replied.

Mrs. Miliani cleared her throat. "How about some pictures?" she suggested, holding up a digital camera.

Ives wondered if she genuinely wanted to take pictures of them, or if she was just humoring them. Either way, Ives was happy to pose with Tomi for the next fifteen minutes – the most time-consuming being when they both struggled to pin the silly flowers to each other's jackets. Ives' mother had to step in to help them so they wouldn't be late.

"Are you going to any parties?" Tomi's dad asked before they left.

"Haven't decided yet," Tomi answered. "I'll text you if we do."

"Don't forget," his mother warned.

"I won't let him," Ives assured her.

She nodded. "Thank you."

Tomi and Ives left at the same time that Tomi's parents did. "Do you have a curfew?" Ives asked as they drove toward the school.

"No, but I assume they want me to come home sooner rather than later." Tomi put a hand on Ives' knee. "I didn't want to say it in front of my mom, but you look really hot."

Ives grinned. "So do you. I have to warn you though, I'm honestly not huge on dancing."

"That's fine with me," Tomi replied. "We can just watch and be there. Maybe dance once."

"Works for me," Ives replied, coming to a stop at a red light. He rested his hand over Tomi's on his knee for a moment. Then the light turned green and he put his hand back on the wheel.

When they got to the school, Ives parked in the student lot with all the others, and stuck the key into his pocket. "Ready?" he asked Tomi.

Tomi smiled and opened his door. "If you are."

Ives opened his door and stepped out. He waited for Tomi at the back of the car, and didn't hesitate before taking his hand. They walked through the parking lot and Ives didn't care if anyone took notice of them on their way to the door. Inside, they had to stop to check in before they could go to the gym.