Chapter 1

Everywhere I look all I see is black. I close my eyes and re-open them, every time hoping that when I open them again, I will have my vision back. That never happens. Closing my eyes and opening them, there isn't much of a difference.

My name is Chloe Patterson. I became blind when I was fifteen years old, last year. It might be worse this way, knowing what you're missing out on, being able to see colors and friends and family, being able to see yourself.

Now I'm an outsider, the girl who went blind. I don't talk about what happened, the incident that took my vision away, because it kills me to think about.

I think about everything I should be able to see and it makes me sick. I should be able to see my first-born child. Now my chances of even getting married, being a mother are just fantasies. If I did get married I wouldn't even be able to see my husband or myself on my wedding day.

Maybe I sound conceited but close your eyes for a minute and think what it would be like to be stuck like that forever, alone in the dark. You can open your eyes though, and see again, when I open my eyes I'm just met with the darkness.

*****************************************

I woke up and internally groaned. I hate school and I hate waking up. I got out of bed and walked to the kitchen. 

I have the floor plan and furniture placement memorized. This is the only house I've ever known.

"Hey Chloe," my little brother Frankie greeted.

"Hey buddy," I greeted while mustering up my best smile. Frankie is half the reason I didn't take the easy way out of life. I thought about ending my life, it could be that simple, but I can't do that Frankie because he already lost the only other woman figure in his life, our mother.

My mom and dad died in an accident five months ago. I don't think I could feel anymore numb if I tried, I barely feel like a person anymore. That left my older brother Justin with the responsibility of raising Frankie and I.

Since Justin is eighteen he adopted us and now he is our legal guardian. Justin is a great older brother, even though I will never admit it to him. He always looks out for me and he is a great role model to Frankie.

Frankie is fourteen but he thinks he's my big brother.

"Chloe want some?" Frankie asked. I heard him slide a plate across the counter.

"Thanks buddy? What is it?" I asked.

"A waffle," he replied.

"Chlo, I'll make you one," Justin laughed while walking into the kitchen.

"I can do it," I replied while heading over to the freezer.

"To the left," he called.

I felt my way around and sighed.

"I've got it," Justin insisted while grabbing me and sitting me down in a chair.

"Thanks," I replied.

"Frankie go help Chlo find an outfit," he called.

"Come on Chlo," Frankie shouted while taking my hand and leading the way.

"What do you want to wear?" He asked.

"Skinny jeans," I started off.

"Dark ones?" He asked.

"Yep," I replied.

"Okay what shirt?" He asked.

"Um the pink tank top that's kind of see through with the flowers," I replied. Another thing I have memorized, my wardrobe.