⋘o08⋙

"Can you do me a huge favor?"

Three weeks in to working at Pine Hollow and she soon learned this question was going to be the death of her.

Today, the person who had asked was Max Regnery, her boss. His favor? Call Veronica diAngelo to find out why she still had yet to return to Pine Hollow. Or her parents since it seemed they became hard to reach as well.

So, on a beautiful Tuesday morning, Blake Witnore sat in the office of Pine Hollow Stables with a phone attached to her ear at all times.

"Hello?" He said as the line stopped ringing. "Veronica diAngelo?"

"Who's asking?" Replied a snobbish female voice on the other end.

"Hi, this is Blake Witmore, a stable hand at Pine Hollow. I was calling to speak with Veronica diAngelo about Garnet, her horse."

"Yeah, and?" Said the female voice on the other line, her tone hinting that she was annoyed. "What about Garnet?"

"Are you Veronica?"

"Obviously."

Well okay then, Blake thought to herself as her hand curled around Max's favorite ballpoint pen. No need for the attitude.

"I was wondering- actually we were all wondering- when were you planning on returning to Pine Hollow for your horse? Or did you wish to sell her? And are you aware you are behind on your monthly boarding fee?"

"I don't have time for horses," replied Veronica. Blake sat up in the chair, suddenly realizing the difference in her voice compared to the start of the call. "I will speak to my father. His name is Frank diAngelo, you know?"

"No, not really," replied Blake honestly.

"Of course you don't, you're just a stable hand. What kind of business is Max running anyway if he has stable hands calling his students?" She scoffed.

"Actually," Blake was started to feel a little warm. "My parents also own these stables, so I'm not just any stable hand. And as for your horse, if you fail to pay for her board and continue to neglect her any longer, you will soon find yourself without a horse."

"You can't do that!" She cried.

"Actually, we can. You have been neglecting to show for three weeks now, and had it not been for me, your horse would more than likely be dead by now. She refused to eat for a week before I showed and had yet to allow anyone else around her. Did you honestly think you could neglect your horse and she'd be perfectly fine?"

Silence filled the other end and for a brief moment, she could have sworn she heard Veronica sniffling. But Blake did not care, she was infuriated with the girl for having no care in the world for such a beautiful animal.

"You're right," she finally said, her voice sounding like she was crying. Because of this, Blake's blood was no longer boiling and she was no longer shaking. "I will make sure Garnet's boarding is payed for right away and I will set up a schedule for more riding lessons with Max as soon as I figure out my schedule."

"Really?" Blake couldn't hide the surprised tone in her voice as she nearly dropped the pen in her hand.

"Yes. And thank you," she added. "For looking after my horse for me."

"It really isn't a problem,"she said slowly. "But had I not shown up, I'd hate to think of where Garnet would be."

"Me too," she replied more quietly.

"Well, I am glad I was able to contact you Veronica. And I am glad we were able to clear this up. I look forward to meeting you and seeing you reunited with your lovely mare."

"Thank you and of course, I will make sure to come by no later than Friday."

"Wonderful," replied Blake as a smile broke out on her face and she clicked at the pen to write it down on piece of paper. "I'll be sure to tell Max. I hope you have a good day, bye."

"Bye," and the she hung up.

Blake ended the call, still smiling as she wiggled around in the office chair, finding it extremely hard to contain her excitement.

"I see you succeeded."

"Ow!" Blake clutched her elbow and glared up at Max. He stood, leaning against the door frame, arms crossed over his chest in a pair of blue jeans and yet another button up, this one being plaid. "Were you there the whole time?"

"I came in mid conversation," he said while pushing away from the frame and uncrossing his arms. "I'm proud of you."

"For what?" Blake stood up so that Max could have his chair back. Except, he didn't exactly make a move for his chair. Instead, he stood facing her with one hand on her shoulder and smiling down at her.

"In three weeks you have saved a horse, managed to learn how to ride for that same horse, and finally managed to contact the other of that horse"

"Pretty sure those last two fall under the first..." she stared up at him and started to smile when his faded. "But, you are right. That is pretty huge for someone as inexperienced as I am with people and horses."

"For someone as inexperienced as you say you are, you are doing very well."

"Well thank you," she said as she dipped down to curtsy. "Oh, and Veronica said she'd be here no later than Friday."

"Joy," he placed his other hand on her other shoulder and smiled. "If she keeps her word, I look forward to hearing what you think of her.

"She sounds quite snobby," Blake admitted as she crinkled her nose like she had smelt something horrible.

"Oh yes, I most certainly look forward to this."

"Truthfully?" A look of upmost seriousness appeared on his face when she sighed. "I'm not sure how I'll feel when I can no longer care for Garnet like I do now."

The office feel silent aside from the background noise due to the stables just outside it. Max peered into Blake's eyes and smiled, his calloused hand rubbing her smooth cheek softly.

"You'll be fine," he told her after what seemed like an eternity of staring into each other's eyes.

"That's what you think, you grew up around horses, Max," she tilted her head, leaning more into his hand. "But I didn't and I am quite fond of Garnet."

"I know," he sighed softly as he pulled her into a warm embrace.

They stayed like that for awhile, Blake's face pressed against his chest, inhaling his natural scent of horses and whatever body wash he used that out off a musky smell. It was nice, not to overpowering, yet something you could miss.

She didn't exactly realize she was sniffing his check until a knock sounded from the door and she accidentally bumped her nose against his chest.

"Sorry to interrupt," said Deborah Hale-Regnery as she stood at the office entrance, her arms crossed over her chest, dress in a pale blue dress with white heels.

Why is she wearing clothes like it's summer time? Blake thought as he rubbed her nose. In fact, it was the opposite of hot outside. It was actually snowing to be truthful.