Chapter 2.

Jahan balanced three vegetables bags in her left hand and pulled out the key from her  handbag with her right hand before opening the door. She kept bags on the table next to the door before closing the door. She looked up and smiled.

"Assalamu Alayekum. How are you? Did you have your lunch?"

"Walekum assalam. I'm fine. And no."

Jahan was walking towards the kitchen when she stopped and turned around to face her,"Why not?"

"Because I don't like eating alone."

Jahan kept the bags on the kitchen counter before coming out of the kitchen again,

"Ok then go and wash your hands we will have lunch together. Oh by the way what's your name again? I totally forgot. I'm so sorry."

"Zeenat."

"Masha Allah beautiful name."

Zeenat smiled slightly before standing up and going into the kitchen. After filling their plates they came back in the living room. They sat on the sofa and started eating.

"What is your name?" Zeenat asked.

"Jahan Aara. You can call me Jahan."

"That's a really ancient name."

Jahan smiled before saying,"I know. But I love it."

"That's good."

They were quietly eating for the next ten minutes before Jahan could not take the awkward silence anymore and asked,

"So, when is your bus coming?"

"I don't know."

"Oh you don't know the timing? Wait, I will ask Bhaijaan to check. What is your destination?"

"I don't know." Zeenat said.

Jahan frowned before saying,"ok."

"Tell me one thing. Why did you help a stranger? That's risky. Maybe I'm a thief or a murderer! How can you bring me home?"

"Well I'm hoping you are not a thief or a murderer."

"Tell me the truth. Why did you help?"

"So you expect me to leave you alone on the road in this weather? We had snowfall the whole night."

"Who does that?"

"I don't know. But I didn't feel right to leave you alone. And tell me if not here then where were you planning to go?"

"I would have probably waited for the bus the whole night. "

"And die in the morning?"

"You left your house open for me? You know I could have robbed you!"

"But you are here "

"Jahan you cannot take such risks."

"I know. But we both had important meeting today "

"Ok."

They were again quiet for some time. Jahan was eating and Zeenat was lost in her thoughts. After few more minutes Zeenat asked,

"How did your meeting go?"

"Alhumdulillah good."

"You are usually back home so early?"

"No. Actually I'm a primary school teacher​. And it's winter break now so we only had the meeting today.

"Oh ok."

Again awkward silence took over. Soon they were done and Jahan took their plates before going back to the kitchen. She started washing the dishes. After some time zeenat came in the kitchen and was standing near the kitchen counter. Jahan smiled before asking,

"You want me to check the timings​ of any bus or train?"

"I don't know where I'm going so I don't know what to answer."

"Ok." Jahan said nodding her head.

Soon she was done and they again came back in the living room.

"Where are you from?" Jahan asked.

"Kashmir."

"Oh wow."

"What about you?" Zeenat asked.

"I was born and raised here in shimla but I'm originally from Madhya Pradesh. But my family is in Mumbai."

"Ok."

They were again quiet for some time before Zeenat said," Thank you for your dress."

Jahan smiled before saying,"You're welcome. Alhumdulillah it fit perfectly on you."

"Yeah."

Zeenat hesitated for few seconds before asking,"Can I ask you for a favour?"

***

Izaan knocked the door again but again there was no response. Izaan was standing outside​ their apartment and knocking the door from past five minutes but no one opened the door. This time he pulled his keys out to open the door. He slowly opened the door and saw no one in the living room. On the way to his room he checked the kitchen and found it empty as well. He kept his bag in his room and Then he went to his sister's room. He knocked the door but again no response​. After knocking for few more times he opened the door and went inside.

Like the rest of the house her room was also empty. Izaan pulled his phone out and dailed his sister's number. After few rings Jahan picked up the call.

"Assalamu Alayekum Bhaijaan."

"Walekum assalam. Where are you Jahan?"

"Bhaijaan just two minutes​! We are near our building."

"Ok. AllahHafiz."

"AllahHafiz."

***

After returning home, Jahan kept water to boil for tea and went to pray. After praying she took the cup of tea for her brother in his room. She knocked the door before opening it. Izaan was sitting on the floor, working on his laptop. Jahan sat down next to him before giving him the cup of tea.

"Where were you?" Izaan asked.

"Zeenat had forgotten her suitcase somewhere near that bus stop where we found her yesterday. She could not search it yesterday because it was too dark so we went now. Alhumdulillah we found it."

"Ok. When is she leaving?"

"I don't know. She did not say anything."

"Ok."

"Bhaijaan I'm sorry."

Izaan looked up before frowning,"For what?"

"I know you are upset because I brought a stranger at home. But yesterday leaving her there was risky and today I cannot ask her to leave."

"I'm not upset. I'm just worried for you and our house. She can be a thief."

"Bhaijaan first of all we don't have anything that can be stollen. Second she is still here. Did she run away?"

"I had locked the door. And I'm sure she is smart enough to not jump from the ninth floor. Maybe she tried to run but we blocked her way."

"Bhaijaan just imagine if she comes to know that the door was locked! She might feel hurt."

"She cannot expect us to be so good to leave her alone in our house."

"Whatever. She might stay today as well. So be nice."

"Jahan stay away from her. I feel she is a trouble."

"InshaAllah nothing will happen. Don't worry."

"Ok. Just keep your phone on all the time and don't go anywhere without telling me."

"Ok. Now you drink your tea, I will go and give her company."

"Do something Jahan. We cannot keep her, here forever."