sixteen.

Ana

"So change of plans for tomorrow night."

"Oh?" I leaned against my locker and Justin mirrored me so that we were facing each other. Being together was as easy as breathing now that we had nothing in our way.

"I think we should go to the dance."

I paused to stare at Justin, and then burst out into laughter. "Yeah, okay."

"I'm serious." Justin frowned.

"It's not a good idea, Justin." I sighed. "I'm still grounded and I liked the idea of just the two of us alone. Besides, you hate anything that requires group activity."

"I just thought it'd be....fun." Justin mumbled. "I want to do at least one normal teenage thing before I graduate. We don't even have to stay that long. Then we can go do something after."

"What about your uncle?"

"He needs to understand. I'll make him understand that he's not the only person in my life anymore."

I stared at him. "You can't just say things like that. I'm easy to guilt."

Justin grinned. "I know."

"It's going to be a shit-show."

"Probably."

I sighed, "Fine, we'll go. But only for an hour or so. I never thought you'd pressure me into attending a social event. By the way, you're buying the tickets."

Justin flashed two slips of paper from his pocket. "Way ahead of you."

I rolled my eyes. "How'd you know I'd even say yes?"

"You're not that hard to convince." He laughed, face settling with a smile. "Thank you." He said softly.

"It'll be fun." I said, trying to be enthusiastic. I hopped up onto my toes, pressing my lips to his.

Going to the dance was starting to sound worse and worse as Thursday night passed and went into Friday morning. By the end of school on Friday, I thought I was going to throw up. I didn't want to tell Justin because he seemed so excited. I was still confused as to why.

"I can't wait to see you in a dress." He said as we walked home. He swung our arms back and forth between us like a kid.

I bit my lip to suppress a cheesy grin. "I don't look all that special."

"You look perfect in anything."

My teeth were clamped on my bottom lip so hard now, it stung. "You...just...I--" I laughed under my breath. "I don't know how you do it."

He smirked for the millionth time that week. We were in front of my house now. "I'll see you later alright? We're taking Lisa's car?"

"Yeah." I nodded, squeezing him quickly. "I'll see you." I really didn't want to go.

I forced Lisa into my bedroom when she came home from work. She somehow managed to convince Dad to let me out tonight and I needed advice.

"Is this your first date?" She asked in a mockingly accusatory tone.

"No." I mumbled. "Maybe." I sighed. "My first real one, anyway."

"You really like Justin, huh?"

I chuckled. "Yeah."

"Well, I disagree with your father. I like him. He's had a rough life and I'm sure he needs a little happiness in his life. Or a lot. The kid looks at you like his world would crumble without you."