eight.

Ana

Justin and I sat across from each other at my dining room table, eating the ice cream sundaes I demanded Lisa make for us. This wasn't the first time Justin had come over. It was kind of funny but mostly sad watching Justin sit stiffly on my couch the first time he'd come around. It wasn't until Lisa had softened him up with lunch that he'd become more comfortable.

Once I'd hung out with him one time, it was impossible to get rid of him. We'd watch movies, gone for walks and one afternoon, I'd even convinced Justin to help me with my chores. It was a good thing we had going, this friendship.

"You have whipped cream on your face." I passed my tongue over my thumb, wiping at Justin's cheek.

"That's really gross." He whined.

I rolled my eyes, rubbing my hand on my napkin and picking my spoon up again. "Don't be a baby."

"You're so annoying."

"You eat like a caveman."

"Do not."

"Do too."

"Do n-"

"Are you two finished yet?" Lisa called from the living room.

"Sorry," We both sighed, chuckling at each other.

Throwing our dirty bowls in the sink, we quietly went back upstairs to the unfurnished nursery to finish painting the walls. It surprised me that Justin even offered to help but I could see he'd do anything to get out of the house.

"She's been so moody lately." I muttered, rolling the blue-splattered brush across the white walls.

"Isn't the baby due in a few weeks?"

"Two." I answered.

"Your dad excited?"

"Yeah." I chuckled. "I'm excited for him. My parents kind of fucked up the first time so I guess this is another chance for him."

"I don't think that." Justin said from behind me. He couldn't see the grin that built on my face. "Turn around for a sec?" Justin tapped on my shoulder.

"Yeah?" I turned around, only to be met by the tip of Justin's brush streaking down the side of my face. My jaw dropped. "You asshole." I laughed, sending my own paint brush sliding down his white t-shirt.

Thank god there was a cover-up on the ground because paint was flying everywhere.

"My hair." Justin whined, plopping down next to me on the ground. His shirt was thrown across the room, and we were both drenched in blue.

"You started it." I said like a child. "I don't know how I'm going to wash this off."

Justin laughed loudly, a sound I'd never heard before. Hapiness burned through me He turned his head to look at me. "You look gross."

I crinkled my nose. "Look for yourself."

We sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, chuckling a few times when we made eye contact. Finally, I sighed. "Hey Justin?"

"Mm?"

"Where's your dad?" I asked quietly.

Justin shrugged. "If you find out, please let me know."

I turned my head but he was already staring at me. I took a deep breath. "My parents split when I was twelve. It was my dad's doing. My mom was, is a raging bitch, so I can't blame him. He moved out but I still saw him every weekend. I would have probably lived with him but money issues and shit. My mom became a really bad alcoholic. Maybe she always was, I dunno. She was involved with lots of shady shit. I started living with my dad and Lisa 3 years ago, before they got married."