eleven.

Justin and Richard sat silently in the living room, as they did every night. Justin would finish his homework and then reread one of only few books he owned for the fiftieth time. Much like his shoes, his backpack and basically everything else he owned, it was all old. His uncle never purchased anything new for him.

There was no justification. There was never one. Nonetheless, he was family; he raised the kid. Everything he did was for his protection and everything was out of love.

Everything.

And although Justin blamed him for most of the bad things in his life, Richard's word was law. Blood was thicker than water, he taught him that.

"Did you finish your homework, Justin?" Richard asked his nephew, like he was ten and not months from eighteen.

"Yes." Justin replied quietly. His palms were sweaty and he toyed with the frayed edge of a page in his book, nervous for the words that were trying to tumble out of his mouth. Finally, he took a deep breath. "I'm seeing someone."

Richard wasn't expecting this. "What was that?"

"I'm with someone. A girl. And she--she's," Another breath. "She's great. Really, really great."

Richard's lips tightened. "I see." He put his newspaper aside. "Is it that girl from next door?"

"Her name is Ana, remember? She's really nice and smart." Justin was desperate for Richard to understand, desperate for his approval.

Richard sighed. "Justin, these kids are cruel. All they care about is drugs and drinking and who's dating who. I've raised you to avoid that."

Justin rolled his shoulders. "I just want to go out, Uncle Richard. I want to play soccer and hockey and basketball like I used to. I want to date and make dumb mistakes that I'll look back on and laugh at. I don't want to be angry all the time. I want to be normal."

"Well it's too late for that." Richard said quietly. "The kids talk. The girl is probably on the phone right now with her friends, mocking you, making a fool of you."

"I am what you raised me."

Richard's face hardened. "I do not want you seeing her."

"I don't care."

"She's going to screw you over Justin. She's going to ruin you like every other slut that goes to that high school with you-"

Justin snapped his book shut. "The only thing ruining me is you. Don't ever call her that again or I'll shove the words right back down your throat." He stood up to leave.

Richard followed him. "Do not threaten me. I do what I do because I love you."

"Mom would have never-"

Justin didn't get to finish his sentence before Richard's fist swiped across his face. He could feel the throbbing just above his eye, already sensing the bruise before it actually formed. He clutched his face in shock, cowering down childishly.

Richard nursed his aching fingers but went about calmly, as if he hadn't just struck his nephew. "I raised you more than your mother ever did, have done more for you than she ever could." He took a deep breath. "I am all you will ever need. Do you understand?"

Justin nodded, looking down at his feet. "Good." Richard said in a cold voice. "Go to bed."

Ana

"School dances are literally the stupidest things to ever exist."

"Only bitter people say that." Emily said.