[14]

"No, he's actually getting along with them very well," Yemi replied to Nadiely over the phone as she scanned the aisles of the grocery store for something to cook. Jahdai always had a taste for chicken nuggets and she really just wanted him to at least not turn into one before Zayn came back.

"I figured. He's a good kid, I was just wondering because your aunt only watches kids she knows," Nadiely laughed, "plus some random Pakistani kid in the mix of all black people. You'd think he'd be uncomfortable."

"That's just it," Yemi replied, putting beans in the cart, "and I love little kids when they're not taught about any racial disparities, because this man Jahdai is so cool and laid back and sweet, like...how do you not like him?"

"Exactly."

Yemi turned down the next aisle, grabbing pasta noodles and different sauces she usually bought. She picked out more spices and condiments she needed for any type of meal she could think of. She had to restock anyway, and teaching Jahdai about something without getting bored or irritated was what she wanted.

"Have you heard from Zayn?" Nadiely asked.

"I haven't actually, not since last week. I hope he's doing well because he gets out in a few weeks or so."

"Really? Time flies."

"It does. I just wonder if he's ready for the real world, and to face temptation, ya know? I might just call him, since he's a third month patient and they're more lenient now."

"That would be good then."

Zayn Malik flicked his wrist and shot the orange ball into the basket, scoring another three points for his team.

Being healthy and clean for only two and a half months had so many advantages and no disadvantages at all. He could breathe again, his anxiety levels were still kinda high -- he was a shy kid, come on -- but it was relieving to not always be paranoid or trying to scrape up money for cocaine.

Zayn hardly felt the need to use any sort of drug, not even alcohol or cigarettes, not today, at least.

Not only was he being healthy and getting back on track, but he picked up the hobbies he used to have when he was younger, even before his life got a little out of hand.

Zayn used to play all sorts of sports, he used to write and draw and just...have his own quiet little version of fun. He loved it. He felt at peace with himself and the world around him, it made him think clearer, especially about what was going to happen when he got back to Yemi's place.

He had to think, because he couldn't just stay there, could he? It'd be terrible because Zayn couldn't pay for a damn thing right now and he'd feel like an even bigger failure than before.

But Yemi seemed to be understanding, he guessed. He also didn't want to get false hope or come off as a freeloader, that was why he was in this predicament.

"Malik!" one of the counselors called out before the patients went to play again, "phone call."

Zayn frowned, not thinking anything of it until he answered and Yemi's voice was on the other end.

"Hey, Zayn."

"Hey, Yemi," he smiled and sat down on a bench, holding the phone to his ear and wiping sweat off his forehead, "is everything okay?"

"Yeah, of course," she replied casually, "I just meant to ask, since you're the parent, if it was okay that Jahdai started going to my aunt's whenever I couldn't watch him. He's been twice and he really likes it but I totally forgot he's not my--"

"It's fine," Zayn chuckled, "I trust you with my kid, if you didn't know by now. So yeah. I'm okay with it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. As long as there's no trouble I'm fine. Thanks for updating me, Yemi."

"Oh. Cool," she chirped. Cute. "Anyway, I meant to check up on you. How are you feeling?"

"Really good, actually," he grinned at that, looking down at the blacktop, "I just feel...fantastic, like...I don't know."

"Okay," she laughed, "well, I'm glad you're better, honestly, and Jahdai misses you a lot."

"He does?"

"Of course," she snorted, "anyway, I meant to talk to you about coming back--"

"I was gonna say something, also, um..." he cleared his throat, "you--"

"Stay with me," she blurted, causing Zayn to widen his eyes, "um, yeah. I mean," Yemi groaned, "I just don't wanna see you on the street anymore and I know you'll feel weird but I promise I won't make it. And I'm just a super duper introvert so I don't have a lot of company and you guys are really good company so...yeah. If that made sense."

Zayn bit his lip, actually thinking about this and weighing his options: stay in the cold ass air behind a dank restaurant, or in someone's warm home with warm food that wasn't from said restaurant?

This was so difficult.

"Zayn? Hello?"

"I'm sorry, what?" he blinked and tried to fight back a smile.

"You guys are staying with me," she replied, "I was asking but I realized I was definitely not gonna take no for an answer. Like, what the fuck? But yeah...I can help you get a job and fall back into the groove of things, and...I don't know. It'd be nice to have a friend or something to share a house with. Plus, I mean, you guys are great people--"

"Um...okay."

"Oh, really! Yay!" and he imagined her jumping up and down and he smiled at the thought, "this is great, omg."

"Thank you, Yemi," Zayn stated sincerely, "and in advance, also."

"It's no problem, honestly," she replied happily, "I'll definitely talk to you later this week, okay?"

"Okay."

"Bye, Zayn!" she said before hanging up, not giving him a chance to speak.

I love him
I love them

this is gonna end soon💖

JK JK JK IM SO FUNNY