F O U R

Chapter Four| A Player's Game

Listen to Shape of You by Ed Sheeran

A lot of people believed that Levi Keller was a player- myself being one of them. However, he wasn't obvious about it. Levi was strategic and he managed to keep his player-ways on the low. He often went for Westies and Southies...Easties if he was lucky but never Northies. People said he didn't want to deal with our 'snobbish attitudes' and didn't have the time for 'high maintenance people'. So, to say I was shocked that he proposed the idea of Larek Peak was an understatement.

Larek Peak was Levi's spot. He would take girls up there, use them for his benefit and never talk to them again. If he even looked in your direction the next day, you would be considered lucky.

Any girl asked to go to Larek Peak with him would already know what they were getting themselves into. I always wondered why they agreed but when he popped the question  I had said yes. I didn't understand that either. He didn't seem affected by my reply and silently climbed on the bike. I followed after him and cautiously wrapped my arms around his torso.

When the engine of the bike revved to life, I felt slightly giddy. Soon, we were speeding off toward the South side of town. Somewhere in me, I was grateful for the helmet since no one would recognize me. If any Northie saw me on the back of a Harley, I'm sure they'd freak out and run to my dad.

As the wind blew my hair back and the small town passed by me, I realized that sitting on the back of a really fast bike was more serene than anything else I had experienced. Often, my stomach would lurch whenever Levi took sharp turns and the bike would bend dangerously close to the ground. I had a feeling he was doing that on purpose. He must've realized that it his scare-tactic was not working because he eventually stopped.

I've always wanted to be on the back of a bike and sometimes that thought would scare me. I knew I was nothing like Southies but sometimes I would find myself jealous of their freedom.

Levi drove far into the South where the streets were littered with flying posters and crushed Coke cans. The tarmac here was cracked and bleached under the hot summer sun. Paint crinkled and bubbled away from cemented walls and tram wires, strung from bottle-green posts, dangled limply above us. This part of the city looked like an accidental smudged painting.

Soon we were whizzing into the outskirts where greenery rose and fell around us. Hills and mountains rose into the sky.

When the bike came to a halt, I pulled off my helmet. I could already smell the earthy air and feel a cool breeze tickle my arms. Climbing off, I handed the helmet back to Levi and he hooked it on the standing bike. I eyed him curiously as he ran a hand through his hair and straightened out his leather jacket.

"What are we doing here?" I decided to ask.

He shrugged. "It's a nice place." I remained silent for a second, debating what I should say next.

"I'm not stupid you know, I've heard about the things you do up here."

He suddenly starts walking and I quickly follow him. He leads me up a trail which I assume reaches the top of the flat mountain. From the looks of it, the hike up would be a good ten minutes.

"And what exactly are these 'things that I do up here'?" He eventually asked.

"Well y'know... You take a girl up here; do some stuff with her and then never talk to her again. The sad thing is that she knows what she's getting herself into when she agrees to come up here," I shrug. "I would just like to let you know that I am not another one of those girls."