Six

Ashley's POV

The dinner was quiet mostly with the occasional conversation about the debate Harrison was preparing for. He's a very bright child, just like his parents. Looking at them gives me a lot of joy. Liam lost his parents pretty early in life and I know how much he misses them. I'm happy that he's finally got a family of his own.

"Now would you tell me why did you fire your new architect?" Jenny asked as we cleared the table. "I remember you telling me how much he fits into the new project and how much you like him."

"I never said I liked him. I liked his work" I defended myself which made Jenny more suspicious. She raised her eyebrows in a suggesting manner which made me sigh in defeat. "He had no sense of professionalism or boundaries. He's too intruding and arrogant. I can't deal with someone like him on a constant basis."

"Okay. I'm just asking cause I've lined up the interview for the new architect. You'll have the list by tomorrow."

"Thank you. That's great."

After the dishes, Ivana came running to Jenny. She carried her to the couch and stroke her hair while she fell asleep in Jenny's lap.

I've seen both Jenny and Liam so stressed with their busy schedule and job priorities and everything but every time anyone of them watches their kids sleep, they look so peaceful themselves. I envy that, I longed for that. It broke my heart at the sight of what I'm never going to have.

"I should get going" I whispered to Jenny since Ivana was sleeping.

"Hey, no, it's late. Let Liam drive you."

"No no.. he's with Harrison, let him be. I'll manage"

"Are you sure?"

I picked up my bag "I'm positive. I'll call you" I waved her goodbye and left.

I was walking down the street looking for a cab but found none. I saw a coffee shop by the corner and decided to have a cup of coffee before walking back home.

The shop was surprisingly crowded considering it was a little late. I placed my order and occupied a corner single table. I was looking outside and saw a broken neon light. It was fluttering, on and off. It was broken so I couldn't read what it said but I kept staring at it waiting for it flutters back to on. I don't know why but I somehow related that to me, waiting for my inner light and shine to turn on.

"Where the hell were you?" He questioned me as soon as I step in.

"I-I told you. I was with Liam. What happened?" I asked. I wasn't sure what was happening but he seemed in a very bad mood.

"I called you. Don't you have your phone? Why won't you pick up? What the fuck, Ashley?" She flipped the side table and I flinched. I fished my phone out of my purse and saw it was switched off.

"I'm sorry. My battery died. I didn't mean to-"

"You enjoy this, don't you?" He took a step at me and I took a step back. "You want to make me miserable and worried. You do it to get back at me. I've said sorry. Why can't you let go"

"I'm not doing anything. I've said it's okay, I mean it. I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

He held me and pulled me closer to him. I was scared to even look at his eyes. I kept my eyes down but he put his finger on my chin and made me face him "You know, I love you, right? You're my everything. You know that?" I nodded timidly "then why can't you just let go. Why do you have to go and meet other people? I'll keep you happy. I keep you happy, don't I?" I nodded again. "Good. Remember that, okay? I won't be giving many chances, Ashley" he let go of me and I stood there, scared to move.