Chapter 5- Malawi

Scarlett was still holding the necklace, and I wanted to scream out why I didn't want to have it. But then the barriers that I had put up around my memories would collapse. Again.

I don't get Scarlett. Why offer me a necklace? Why wait until know to come out? She knew I was bi. She knew I would be open, 'cause man do I understand. I have been bullied, I have been told to choose, I knew her struggles. Well, kind of. Why pull out a wad of cash... oh. She was getting supplies, from the bakery.

Smart girl.

"I'll grab some food from the shops in there," I gestured to the other side of the road.

Jean followed me.

"You guys are so weird," Jean spoke, his french accent loud and clear.

"What gave you that impression?" I asked, barely any sarcasm is my voice.

"You seem to have a love-hate relationship between you, and you seem so-so secretive. And rehersed in this pain."
"Really?"

"Yeah, what happened to you?" What?

"I am not crazy, or-" Jean cut me off.

"No I don't mean it like that, I mean, what happened to you that you don't say?" I can't believe this guy.

"I. Don't. Want. To. Talk. About. It."
"I might be able to help you-" I glared at him, as I picked up some fruit.

"No."

Jean meant well, but he just didn't do it right. I had been to therapy, I had been cured (mostly)of my depression.

When we met up again,I felt better. But I was still furious at Jean. He should know better. This was personal, this was my life.

With bags full of food, torches and whatever else we could possibly need, we opened the lid to the tunnel. I felt a wave of fear, and my breath caught as I stared down into the hole.

I jumped down into darkness, and uncertainty.