Fancy

I gulped in fresh air as we walked away from my house. God, I hate how it smells in there. It's a miracle I manage to keep my room clean and smelling decent.

"What happens when you break the rules..?"

"I get extra chores." I said quickly and curtly. There was no way I was about to tell anyone that my dad spanked me with his belt when I break the rules. To make sure she wouldn't ask any questions, I quickly changed the subject. "So, which is your house?"

"The one with the purple truck."

"Okay." It seemed normal on the outside. The grass was just as dead, the wood was just at rotted, the windows were just as smudged and broken, and the paint was just as faded, cracked, and peeled. The truck even had just as much dirt. It blended in perfectly. I guess it had to be in order to not raise suspicions. Jen's jingly key chain crashed my train of thought. The ridiculous thing almost made me laugh. There was only two keys (presumably one for the house and one for the car), but there was at least ten key chains attached to either a key, or another key chain. A couple were just funny like the 'awesome' key chain, but most of them were definitely fandom related like the little R2D2. She paused before opening the door.

"Just one thing before we go in."

"Yeah..?"

"My mother's death traumatized my younger sister and the result is that she's a mute now."

"Oh." I genuinely couldn't think of a response.

"Yeah, she's pretty happy though so long as you don't mention mothers of any sort around her."

"Okay. I'll be careful."

"Also, you're the first friend I've brought home in quite a while so they're gonna over react if we run into them."

"Greaat..."

"Oh, they're not so bad." Jen said as she opened the door. The first thing I noticed was how clean everything was. Everything seemed brand new and it smelled like lavender and apple pie.

"Wow..." All of their furniture seemed like it cost more than my entire house and the T.V. screen was huge!

"Would you like something to eat?"

"Sure." When she opened the pantry, I saw it was stocked full of all kinds of delicious food and I was sure the fridge and freezer were the same.

"Just grab whatever you want. I'll probably be back when you finish." She left in a bit of a rush and I knew that she was taking a smoke break. She was back shortly after I finished off a bowl of goldfish and we got to work on our project and we actually managed to finish before I had to go home and we didn't run into Jen's father or her sister. I found that strange, but decided not to mention that.