Sometime during the meal an argument started over who was the better shot between Hunter and Clint, so afterwards, we all went down to a shooting range so they could settle it. Vidente had his men bring guns, ammo and ear protection. He and Khan were also joining in while us women watched.

Clint gave me a teasing look, knowing how badly I wanted in on the shooting. I felt a little better since Bobbi wasn't joining either, we shared a commiserating grin. We stood on either side of Nadia, who was apparently not very comfortable around firearms and was only out here because we were. She quivered, squeezing my arm tightly when the louder guns went off.

They each took three shots with the same gun at a target before the target was brought up for inspection after each round. I noticed that Clint was an excellent marksman, even while using a variety of guns instead of his bow; I also noticed he had subtly turned off the hearing aid in the ear closest to the gun. I personally believed that his profound hearing loss was part of the reason he preferred his bow to firearms.

At the end of the demonstration, Clint was pronounced the better shot, followed closely by Hunter and Vidente, Khan taking last by quite a bit. There was a huge difference between Khan's stance and handling of the guns versus the other men. He was clearly not used to handling more varieties than the one type his men preferred. I filed that tidbit away for later, wondering if Clint had noticed as well.

Khan was the first to turn to us after the demonstration, coming close enough to touch me. I was standing on the side closest to the men, taking off my ear protection and talking to Nadia. Bobbi's eyes flickered, warning me someone was behind me and as I turned, placing my back to Nadia, I saw one of Clint's swords was resting at Khan's throat, a thin red line welling over the edge of the blade. The other blade was resting on the wrist of the offending hand that was still outstretched to me.

Ward and Tripp had their guns drawn, both aimed at his heart. Hunter had the gun he'd used last for target shooting aimed at Khan as well. I gave my fellow agents full marks for their quickness so I didn't break character unintentionally. Nadia pulled me back away from Khan's hand and hid behind me. Vidente signaled his men to stand by but they hadn't moved as fast as the agents, not having been watching Khan closely.

"Apparently you must not have heard about me." Clint's voice was deep and powerful, drawing every eye to him. "This is your only warning, dog. What is mine will stay mine. Attempt to touch my Maria again and I will not hesitate to carve pieces from you, starting with the offending hand."

Khan had frozen the instant the metal had slit his skin. He met Clint's eyes, bewildered at the ferocity he saw there, slipping back into Arabic. "She is just a whore. Why do you value her so?"

"Maria is no whore," Clint replied in Arabic. Blood dripped from Khan's wrist and neck and the flow increased as more pressure was applied. "I was her first and I will be her last. She is mine and no other man is to lay a finger on her person. Ever." Anyone looking at him would not doubt that he could kill Khan without hesitation. Clint had a confidant, lethal feel to him, showing a depth that I was learning to appreciate.

"I will not provoke your ire again, Ronin," Khan vowed, eyes not leaving Clint's. "I thought the stories were just that – stories; I see now that they were all true."

Clint's response was spit in Khan's direction, slowly removing his blades from Khan's skin, shifting so the smaller man would have to pass him to leave the shooting range. Hunter lowered his gun first, having the least ideal shot at the man. If he were to miss or the bullet were to pass through, he stood a good chance of injuring myself or Nadia. Ward was the next to lower his gun, also not having an ideal shot. Clint nodded at Tripp, who was the last to lower his gun. Khan moved steadily past Clint, not rushing but also not at a casual pace, clearly deferring to Ronin.