VI: His Butler | | Capricious

Start from the beginning

Jasper cleared his throat and pointed his index finger over at the tower and spoke in a fast, yet understandable manner:

"My lord, the Eiffel Tower was built for the sole purpose of attracting tourist (we could be considered such, considering the circumstances); however, it is an icon of Paris, therefore it is considered important! There was a protest about such a magnificent work of art being built by some of the greatest writers and poets back in 1887, but Édouard Lockroy put a stop to such brash motives! It is a beauty and a simply delicate work designed by none other than Gustave Eiffel himself! He aspired it to be an icon for all of France---its main attraction. Just look at how many civilians' attention it has drawn with its marvelous unveiling? Would you not agree, young ma-"

Ezzelin blanched at his butler and abruptly pushed back his chair, then brushed off his silk chiffon shirt as he stood. "Jasper!" he said, in a sort of announcement-like tone. "I did not come here for a history lesson on a scrap metal tower."

Jasper clasped his hands over his leg, closed his eyes and smirked. "Do you wish to leave the Exposition, my lord?" The tone in his butler's voice held a hidden knowingness that Ezzelin found rather curious and a bit too dangerous for his liking.

"I merely wish to leave this bland city and arrive in London now."

Jasper opened his red eyes and cocked his head to the side. "Young master, the best is yet to come."

As the words left Jasper's beautiful lips, a small explosion resounded from near the bottom of the Eiffel Tower. There were terrified screams from goers of the Exposition as large broken wedges of metal, from the tower's top, came crashing down to the ground below. Ezzelin glanced up at the tower, in hopes that the wretched thing was just toppling to the ground and was possibly crushing a few bystanders on the way, but what he saw was much more different than he'd expected. He noticed two combating figures, both male; one clad in a black tailcoat and the other in a white one. "Jasper!" Ezzelin shouted.

Everyone had already exited the café to investigate just what had caused all the commotion; however, they hadn't even taken notice of the two men fighting atop the tower on its second floor.

The long silver-haired butler gracefully removed himself from his chair and twirled over to his master; a sadistic grin plastered on his narrow face. "Yes?" he asked.

Ezzelin whipped his attention over to his butler and scoffed. "What did you mean from that statement?" Another pillar of metal crashed to the ground.

Jasper peered up to the second floor of the tower. "My lord, it would seem I'm not the only demonic force in this region at this very moment." Jasper had said, then did something Ezzelin had never seen---he clenched his white-gloved fists and set his jaw. "Two birds with one stone, isn't that how it went?" Jasper monotonously asked, raising an eyebrow as he continued to stare at the colossal creation as if it were a person he'd so wanted dead.

A devious smile curled at the edges of Ezzelin's lips as he said, "Old friend, I take it."

The butler ceased in his actions and looked over to the light brown haired boy. "A very old friend, indeed, young master."

Ezzelin walked out onto the grassy lawn with Jasper loyally in tow or the lad, who'd continued to stare up at the tower; they couold no longer could see the combating duo. "What would you have me do, young master?"

"I shaln't order you to investigate---that's not our job. Instead, we shall leave this Exposition at once and have no further business with it."

Jasper placed his right hand elegantly over his left breast and bowed, allowing his long silver hair to cascade downward to the ground as if it were a waterfall. "Very well, my lord. Shall I retreive the horses from the stables and latch them to the carriage?"