VI: His Butler | | Capricious

"My lord, do you wish to attend the Exposition for the new tower held here in Paris?" asked Jasper as he poured Ezzelin's fresh cup of Columbian bean coffee. The aroma had immediately awoken the boy from his sleep as soon as his butler had entered the room with the metal tray of his breakfast, consisting of a pain suisse---a large, rectangular pastry containing a rich creme and small chocolate nuggets---and two boiled--unshelled--eggs.

Ezzelin stretched out his arms and legs, releasing a quick yawn as he had done so. "La colazione di un francese? Come di cattivo gusto. (A Frenchman's breakfast? How distasteful.)" he said in precise Italian.

Jasper smiled and rolled the tray over to Ezzelin's bedside. "You are in France after all, my lord---I found it only befitting of you to indulge yourself in some French cuisine."

Ezzelin smirked. "The French have no taste of uniqueness when it comes to their cuisine."

Jasper laughed lowly. "I can not reprimand you there, young master. However, I can assure you will find this to your liking."

Ezzelin shot an angered glare at the long silver-haired butler. "Do not tell me what I will enjoy and what I will not."

Jasper closed his eyes and sighed. "Very well, young master."

Ezzelin picked up the polished knife and fork from either side of the plate and cut his first bite of the pain suisse and placed it into his mouth, savoring its rich flavor as he chewed it. "I judged you too harshly---I do enjoy this." said Ezzelin, sipping a drink of his coffee. "Forgive my brash attitude, Jasper."

His butler placed his right hand over his left breast and bowed. "You are forgiven, my lord."

"What is on my agenda for today, Jasper?"

"You are free of all duties today. I would suggest we get underway with our journey to England; however, the choice is entirely up to you."

"What was it you were saying of an Exposition moments ago?"

Jasper walked over to the tray and moved it out of Ezzelin's way---he'd eaten all of his food and drank all of his coffee. "The Exposition is a twenty-four hour event held for the Eiffel Tower, freshly finished. It would provide you an excellent distraction were you to attend."

Ezzelin closed his eyes and smiled to himself. "Then let us depart to this event swiftly."

"Yes, my lord."

The butler and his master arrived at the Exposition and had seated themselves outside of a small café, less that thirty feet from the new cast iron tower. Ezzelin had clad himself in a white, silk, ruffled-collar, button-up shirt and brown leather ankle-length pants that tightened around the ankle and black leather knee-length that buttoned up to the outer sides.

"The sun is too bright for my liking, Jasper."

His butler smiled and crossed his left leg elegantly over his right. "There is nothing within my power that I can do about its light, young master."

Ezzelin frowned and propped his elbow on the table and placed his chin within his hand. "If only, if only." He sighed.

"Shall we take a stroll beneath the tower, my lord?"

Ezzelin stared quizzically at Jasper through his brown eyes. "Is there nothing more interesting to do at this event than just marveling over a meaningless hunk of metal?"

Jasper placed his hand over his mouth and gasped in disbelief. "Young master!"

Ezzelin's eyes widened and he sat back in his chair. "Why pretend to be so offended?" he asked. "Tis true, it's just a scrap pile stacked intricately to form a tower." He shrugged and glanced over at a girl with long grey curled hair, dressed in a black Victorian gown with a dark veil shrouding her features, like a bride would after her husband's passing. Standing next to her was a pale, tall man clad in a white suit with a purple vest and sheathed on his left side was a sword that resembled that of a fencing blade. Two features of the man struck young Ezzelin as odd and unusual---his hair and eyes. The man's hair was as white as snow and the color of his eyes were like that of a shining amethyst---a vibrant, cool violet.