I: His Butler | | Rendezvous

"My lord, we must get you dressed; Countess Rosa will arrive soon and we have yet to clothe you." said the tall, long silver-haired butler as he strode over to the large wooden wardrobe; opening the small doors, he pulled out an outfit of a black cloak and a white, well-tailored suit.

The young boy tiredly slung himself over to the edge of the bed and sat there, allowing his legs to dangle like loose vines to the velvety carpeted ground beneath them, awaiting his butler's swift return.

"Jasper, bring my cane-blade, I wish to have it at my side come dinner." he'd ordered as he'd outstretched his small arms and yawned.

"Yes, young master."

The boy looked around and rubbed his eyes, glancing at his hand as he removed it from his face's vicinity. He examined the red scar-like circle with a serpent interlacing its interior of an upside-down thorny cross.

Jasper smoothly walked back over to him; Ezzelin's black gloves, cane-sword and outfit, all in his right arm. "The Countess shall be pleased with how well you've tended to her daughter, my lord."

Ezzelin closed his eyes momentarily and chuckled. "Oh Jasper, I must keep the name of my household in high regards with her . . . lest she fall prey to an unexpected demise."

Sealing the last opal button, Jasper smiled at Ezzelin and stood, placing the black, snow leopard fur-trimmed petticoat over his master's shoulders. "Shall I find a matching top-hat as well?"

Ezzelin shook his head. "No need to be too formal at this dinner, Jasper, though, I do wish for everything to be to our guest's liking."

"Yes, young master." Jasper bowed then swiveled gracefully around on his right heel and exited room.

The tawny-haired lad removed himself from his bed and followed Jasper's example, though, opting for a different corridor---the one to his study.

"Oh Ezzelin!" squealed the shrill voice of the Countess' daughter as she raced towards him, a smile etched upon her tan toddler face.

Ezzelin turned to her and smiled, sending her a quick bow. "Good afternoon, Camilla."

The sweetness in his voice had caused the young black haired child to giggle with glee as she'd stopped before Ezzelin and grinned. "Is it true that mamma is coming for dinner?" she asked with blushing cheeks.

Ezzelin nodded and placed his hand on her head. "Yes, and you must go find Anita and have her bathe you. We cannot allow your mamma the thought that we do not take well care of you, can we?" He laughed.

Camilla's eyes widened before she closed them and smiled massively, whilst shaking her head from side-to-side. "No, no, no; we cannot!" she said as she raced back down the corridor, waving backwards at Ezzelin.

Once the child was out of his sight, Ezzelin hooded his brown eyes and frowned. Damn child, why have they not bathed her? he wondered as he turned the brass knob to enter his study. Rubbing his temples he took the red leather seat in the center of his room, surrounding himself with his many catalogs on plants and novels on philosophies.

"What troubles you, my lord?" Jasper inquired as he stepped from the shadows of the corner, his head tilted and eyebrows furrowed.

Ezzelin scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Too many distractions, that's all; leave my sight and prepare dinner, Jasper," he paused and whipped his eyes up to Jasper's blood-red ones. "That's an order."

Jasper bowed humbly, his silver hair flowing delicately downwards as he'd done so. "Very well, young master." he said as his form whisked away, back into the shadows from which it had came.