27. I'm going to kill both of you

Start from the beginning

It's silent on her end as he talks and she actually listens. I notice the change in her expressions immediately.

Her face goes to shock and surprise so quickly. She stands there with a hand over her mouth and a look in her eyes that wasn't there before. The phone slips from her hand and onto the floor but she doesn't even seem to notice.

Before any of us can ask her what's going on. She bolts. She throws open the door and just leaves, snatching the car keys off the counter on her way out.

"Thirteen!" We all call after her but there's no response. She's gone.

Devin picks up his phone from the floor and puts it to his ear when he notices that Zero's still on the line.

"No. She just took off out of here like a bat out of hell." He says into the phone. "What did you say to her?"

He lets out a string of curses and holds the phone away from his ear. "He hung up on me."

"Did he say he happens to know where she's going?" I question and Devin shakes his head.

"My best bet would be the agency...probably to yell at him."

"What does that mean?"

"More pizza for me."

We all shoot Devin a glare and he holds his hands up in surrender with a wide smile on his face.

***

Three days.

It's been three days since Thirteen ran out the door and we haven't seen or heard from her since. I've tried her phone but it keeps going straight to voicemail.

Three days of Devin and Chase playing chess, only for Devin to switch the pieces on the board every time Chase turns away for even a second as usual.

Three days of Elaine's nonstop whining followed closely by Jason's snarky remarks.

Three days of sitting in this room or occasionally going down to the pool. Same thing over and over and over. Nothing new.

"Relax," Devin tells me as he notices me bouncing my leg up and down as I sit at the table reading over a newspaper. "I just spoke to Zero about an hour ago. She is in fact at the agency, and has not been kidnapped, killed, tortured, robbed-"

"Please stop talking," I mutter, closing my eyes and pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration. "I don't need a list of everything that could happen, and I don't need you jinxing it either."

"Oh please. I bet Thirteen's just waiting for some idiot to rob her so she can take her anger out someone. I bet she lives for that kind of stuff." He replies as he tosses his phone in the air and catches it. "She does have a knack for finding trouble."

"You're not helping."

"I wasn't trying to." He continues to toss his phone in the air and catch it. "Want to play chess?" He questions after a moment of silence.

"Not with you." I retort. "You cheat."

He puts his hand over his chest dramatically and pretends to be offended. "I do no such thing. How dare you accuse me of such."

I roll my eyes and smile. The door to the room opens and Jason walks in.

"Where have you been?" Devin questions.

"I went down to the grocery store to get us some food-no you are not cooking." Jason finishes quickly and Devin's smile turns into a childish pout.