25. Who's Angel

Good news, I didn't fail my finals for today...still got more tomorrow though.

That also means you people don't get blamed.

Thirteen's POV

I take a step into the room only to freeze as my eyes spot what's wired up along the top of the ceiling. I follow it down to the metal contraptions set up on the floor.

Great. We come this far without any traps and she set's room up to be a freaking mind field.

"What are you waiting for?" Devin questions and tries to walk around me but I put my arm out to stop him before pointing up to the explosives strapped up to the ceiling.

"Well, that's a problem." He says simply his eyes going down to the bear traps the explosives are wired to.

Step on one of those and you'll not only get your foot caught and mangled, but you'll set off the explosives if you move the trap or open it.

"Now I'm seeing what you meant when you said she loved traps...and explosives," Jason mutters.

"How the hell are we even supposed to get across this room?" Cody questions. They're all crowded around me, but no one makes any move to even attempt to move further into the room.

I study the traps laid out on the floor, and the explosives strapped to the ceiling. Lily left this for me. She wanted me to get across but wanted to make sure no one else would be able to get across.

I try to find a pattern in the traps. There's less around the edges of the room, closer to the wall. But there's a ton of them in the middle of the floor.

That discourages people from trying to walk through the middle. She's trying to make it so you have no choice but to walk along the sides. Why?

If there's anything I know about Lily, she loved tricks just as much as traps.

It clicks in my mind. She's done something like this before as a joke, as a prank. Of course, it was nowhere near as dangerous as this is...but she'd know I'd remember it because she pulled the prank on me, and I learned the hard way.

I just pray I'm right.

I suck in a deep breath and begin to walk forwards. I hear a million protests from the boys but I ignore them and duck out of the way before they can pull me back.

I walk calmly across the center of the room, kicking traps out of the way as I go and stepping on others, but nothing happens. I stand at the other end of the room and turn around to face the boys who all look rather surprised.

"They're fake?" Chase finally asks and I shake my head.

"Not the ones lined up on the sides. Those are very real. But the ones in the middle? Yeah, they're fake."

"Why?"

"For anyone who didn't know her, they'd try to go across the area with fewer traps, the sides and she knew that. So she put real ones on the sides. But for anyone who knew her...well let's just leave it at, she's done stuff like this before."

The boys still walk cautiously over to me. Glancing down as they walk and being careful not to stray from the trail I left.

"Don't take this the wrong way," Jason starts as he makes it to the other side. "But I'm kind of glad I'll never get the chance to meet this girl."

I smile and shake my head. "She'd take that as a compliment."

Devin walks past me to the only thing in this room. A large desk with an older computer sitting on top of it. He takes a seat in the swivel chair and powers up the computer.