26. Bet you're regretting not letting her get a dog now

Start from the beginning

"What's the problem? If she's not dead that's a good thing."

Devin shudders and pales even more. Suddenly I feel very worried if Devin's scared...I don't even want to know.

"No. It's not a good thing." He shakes his head rapidly back and forth. "Angel's not a person."

"So?"

He shudders again and points up the stairs. "You have to see for yourself." He stands to the side and motions for us to go up the stairs first.

I sigh and start up the stairs cautiously. I'll admit I'm a little scared to see what exactly Angel is.

"The room on your right," Devin says. I put my hand on the door and slowly turn the knob. I stand off to the side of the doorway as I push open the door slowly. There's nothing in there other than a bed, a dresser, and a closet.

I look back at Devin. "If this is your idea of a joke?" He shakes his head and stands slightly behind Cody, who just looks at him in confusion.

"Look under the bed," Devin says simply and refuses to come into the room when me and Cody walk it. "Don't get too close." He adds as an afterthought.

"Don't tell me it's a spider," Cody mutters as I bend down and lift up the edge of the comforter.

I feel my own eyes widen and I nearly fall backward as I stagger to my feet eyes wide and back up from the bed like it's a bomb.

Cody looks at me in surprise. "That bad?" He goes to look for himself but I grab hold of his arm and pull him back as a low hissing sound comes from under the bed.

He takes a cautious step backward and looks at me with concern. I just nod. "That bad," I confirm.

I pull him with me as the hissing continues. We take slow steps back towards the doorway were Devin's standing, looking like he's ready to bolt at any minute.

The comforter covering the opening underneath the bed shifts as a scaly tail pops out for just a moment before disappearing back under the bed. Cody pales beside me and begins to tug me a little faster out of the room.

"I thought it was just a snake." He mutters.

"That is not a snake," Devin states, pulling the door closed once we're in the hallway. "I wish it was a snake."

I shake my head in shock. I can't seem to grasp the concept that she actually had that as a pet.

"She named an alligator Angel?" Cody exclaims in shock and I just shake my head again.

"That basically sums her up all on its own."

The hissing behind the door suddenly gets louder and Devin takes off running down the stairs. I unconsciously back up into the wall along with Cody.

"That thing can't get through the door right?"

"I hope not," I mutter, but I don't stick around to find out and grab hold of his hand and pull him down the stairs behind me. "I'm not taking that thing with me. I don't care that she asked me to. It's not happening,"

As soon as we hit the bottom of the stairs, Jason and Chase both come up to us.

"Why is Devin so quiet?" Chase asks us.

"Why do you two have the same look on your face as he does?" Jason questions.

I just mutely point upstairs and repeat the words Devin told me and Cody moments ago. "You have to see for yourself. First door on the right. If you don't see anything...look under the bed...but be quick about it."