Nuppon

As Tuesday rolled around, I was exhausted and basically bored and depressed, going through show after show, repeat after repeat, and in my excess time I listened to music, a common habit since I had appreciated that sense unconditionally. That was until I remembered something important. Alarms shot off in my head and by the time I bolted out of bed and got dressed, Victor was already waiting at my door to pick me up. We took the subway all the way to Tokyo and took a shuttle to Nuppon where we waded our way through the airport.

Crowded places; being a natural enemy of mine, I took a bit more of a pessimistic outlook on the trip now that I realized almost everywhere would be this way where we were headed. I felt a hard shove next to me and my nervous hands clamped tightly onto my walking stick before feeling a hand on my back, Victor trying to make me feel a bit more comfortable here. I'm sure he knew I didn't want to be here. I knew we were in line somewhere; I wasn't quite sure what was happening though. I heard the sound of beeping quickly being muddled and shrouded away by talking from the people around me. The only other time I've flown by plane is when my mom traveled with me to help me move into my current apartment, and back then I could see better anyway. I felt a knot tie in my throat when Victor stepped forward and guided me in front of someone or something. He placed both our suitcases- which he had insisted on carrying- onto... Something. It made a flittering whir noise, discontinuing every few seconds.

"You're gonna have to take your shoes off..." He said nervously, as if I'd be completely opposed to it. Which I surely was. I leaned down cautiously and placed my walking stick on the ground. Seconds later, I heard Victor below me, most likely picking it up. I clumsily slipped off my shoes and handed them to Victor and i stared at him a second, unsure of why he hadn't handed back my walking stick yet and before I had time to ask, he ushered me over to... something else that beeped. He told me to stand still and I did so, looking forward nonchalantly. Something beeped again and Victor tapped my shoulder and handed it back. Poking forward, I took a few misguided steps and waited for Victor to come back, still unsure of what we'd just done or why. I wasn't quite sure but I may have heard him whisper something to someone else, but I couldn't tell if it was his voice or not. My other senses were a bit overwhelmed, especially since it's been so long since I was around this many people.

After about a minute, he came over to me, grabbed our suitcases, and I followed the mixed and muddled sounds of rolling wheels I sure hoped were his. This wasn't exactly somewhere I wanted to get lost. Finally, the wheels stopped and so did he. I heard him put the suitcases down and-

(Oh, I remember this part)

I sat down after him, tired and groggy still as our flight left at six and he had woken me up at four. It was no wonder he'd not made any conversation with me then, he must've been up even earlier than I had. It's not like I internalized it at all. In fact, I sort of felt guilty. I decided maybe I should speak up anyway, though, to relieve my anxiety a bit.

"What time is it?" I asked, thinking that was probably the wrong conversation starter but I'd like to know when we'd be out of here. He yawned and I heard him shuffle around in his pocket a minute before the space around me got brighter and I could tell he had gotten his phone out.

"Ugh." He groaned, exhaustion clearly prominent in his voice. I turned my head in his direction unseeingly and gave a slight blind smile his way in case it was any assistance to his mood.

"Only 5:20." 

My chest dropped as he sounded just as unhappy with the answer as I was, and I scooted closer until I felt a cold handlebar hit my side and put my head on his shoulder as he did something on his phone. He still felt a little angry- which made me nervous because I wasn't feeling so great about the crowds or the plane as people began to gather around the seats surrounding us, their voices distracting me from Victor a tad. I didn't realize when it had happened, but by the time the speaker went off and Victor began to shift under me, I had been asleep for almost half an hour. Thank god I didn't have to wait through it. Disoriented, I lifted up my head and Victor grabbed onto my hand and lead me past a desk or something someone was standing behind, and then past a hallway or something. It was narrow and loud, it reminded me of the middle school halls only this one had a blaring engine and shaky floors, and... I shouldn't be here.

My grip tightened onto his hand and I started dragging slowly, hesitant to go any farther and realizing what a mistake this could be. Victor's weight shifted again, and the pull on my hand seemed to tug upward as I realized what was happening, just like the walk home from the library. I scanned forward with my walking stick, feeling a small gap between the plane, the platform, and thin air. My foot scowered the edge before I lifted myself up and onto the plane, realizing what a commitment I'd made. This was kind of a big deal for me. His grip on my hand was leveled out again, and he still hadn't spoke, I guess the combination of exhaustion and knowledge of my capability were the cause. He lead me down something even more narrow than the last, my walking stick continued to get caught in the seats and I decided to keep it in front of me in case I hit any other passengers. Finally, he stopped before me and let go of my hand and I heard the squeak of the air squeezing from the seat to my left. 

I sat down with him, feeling around for the handle bars and putting on my seatbelt myself with only touch. I heard Victor sigh, this must not be his favorite part either. I couldn't wait to get off. I hoped New York wasn't as crowded as it sounded on television. I remember shows like SNL Or 30 Rock where the big city was filled with streets rampid with criminals and strangers and I hoped that had all just been talk. Still feeling drowsy, I closed my eyes again, I assumed just to rest them as they were beginning to feel heavier by the second. When I opened them, the floor began to shake and my stomach began to churn.