Home

I wandered outside the building. It was extremely bright out, before I could tell clouds were covering the sun, casting a gray-ish hue along the ground. I could feel the sunlight reaching my hair. The concrete now lit up a blurry silver, fitting to the loud, joyful splashing of the fountain a few feet in front. I couldn't see it a whole lot, mainly just gray water and flecks of white with what I think is a statue in the middle. Whatever it may be, it wasn't there when I was a kid. I poked around with the stick and began making my way home. I knew the way to my apartment from here, it wasn't that far and I hadn't strayed much farther than this from my place lately. I breathed in. It smelled like cherry blossoms, which were quite abundant here in Japan and they usually bloomed mid-June. I enjoyed far less now than I did when i was younger, but the smell of cherry blossoms never failed to excite me.

I made my way to

(a stoplight?)

Yes, definitely a stoplight, someone was waiting in front of me. I moved closer to them, depending on this person to walk at the right time. I shifted forward clumsily not using the stick. I felt my foot hit something hard.

(Ow)

A loud bang was accompanied by a shot of pain up my leg. I looked down and the light yellow practically was invisible to me and just faded into the sidewalk. I must've ran into a fire hydrant, my natural enemy. What kind of idiot decided to make them yellow anyway? I heard movement from the person in front of me and decided I needed to go. I looked ahead and saw nothing but black asphalt streets. No post. No red "go" signal. Not even a sidewalk ahead. As I plotted my stick in front of me, the person got farther and farther ahead. I didn't know where the end of the street was. I couldn't even see them anymore. All I could hear was the sound of car engines and my ragged panicked breathing.

(Am I walking straight?)

Panic welled up in my chest and I thought I might've heard a car honking at me, but I wasn't really sure. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my back, which only freaked me out more. I whipped around to see a tall distorted figure. Black and grey, that's all I could see.

"Here, this way." It began to lean forward and I followed, unsure of what else to do. I opened my mouth to say something- maybe even protest but no words came out before he spoke.

"You really didn't sound convincing in there, so I guess this was the least I could do." He said.

 I couldn't believe the guy from earlier had followed me out here and for a second I wasn't sure it was him until I replayed his voice in my head. That was definitely the same person and I kind of liked his accent. I wouldn't forget it.

I whispered a quick thank you hoping it was loud enough for him to hear and stepped forward lightly, still using my stick which I couldn't even see extended in front of me. I heard cars whiz past behind me which signaled I was at the end of the street. Thank god. I felt his hand leave and he stepped ahead of me and the blur shifted, getting taller. He must have stepped onto the sidewalk hoping I could tell. I reached out with the stick and felt the ridge of the rough concrete walkway and stepped up carefully. I stopped walking and so did he.

"Do you want me to help you get home?"

His voice had a nice ring to it, comforting and comical in a way.

(Why was this guy being so nice to me?)

Well, I shouldn't deny help after what had just happened. But I didn't want to embarrass myself any more than I already had. It probably wasn't a good idea to head outside in the first place and this was my fault. But I did kind of enjoy his hospitality so far.

"Um... If it's not too much trouble for you..."

I eagerly awaited his response, clutching my stick nervously. I guess I could do it on my own. It wasn't far now. I felt a shiver run up my spine and the light from before fade out again. It was getting colder, possibly rainy. On the bright side he was nice. I'd probably relish a little company, that is if he doesn't hate me by the end of it.

"It's no problem, really. I'm Victor, by the way."

I let out a small smile, hoping it was appropriate if he were smiling too. He was a lot taller than me, I observed through my obscured vision. And now that he was closer and I had a better look at him, I squinted and I could tell he had gray hair.

"I'm Yu..." My voice cracked out of nervousness. "...ri Katsuki." I added. He let out a small low laugh and breathed in making me feel a bit less awkward. It's a good thing he had a sense of humor, cause I was starting to feel more anxious now.

"Well, it's nice to meet you," He imitated my voice's instability in a sarcastic but light hearted way. "Yu-ri Katsuki."

We both laughed.