crushcrushcrush

If this chapter is showing up first, there's an error I can't fix. This is the third chapter, the first is "The Library". Sorry if your order is totally correct and thank you for reading my story.

We finally made it back to my apartment, he even rode up the elevator with me. I tried to tell him it was fine but he insisted on taking me home. He really was sweet and we had sort of a pleasant small talk on the way back to my (rather secluded) apartment.

(Good thing, I couldn't see a single button)

I was still genuinely puzzled and confused by his kindness towards me. Why was he being so nice to a stranger? He didn't have to do this at all, he could've spent the rest of his day doing whatever else he wanted. Not this, I'm sure.

We arrived in front of my apartment door when he stopped and turned around. I couldn't see his eyes but I could tell he was looking at mine. He waited a minute and some weird feeling hung in the air. I shuffled my feet below me nervously, waiting for him to say something. I wasn't feeling as scared now, actually more calm than I expected but I could feel his nervous energy a few feet away from him. He must've opened his mouth as if trying to say something because I felt a draft of air come from above me but not any sound. I remembered he was much taller than I and looked up, still wondering what he was so anxious about. 

"Well... If you ever need help, just call me, okay?"

My heart swelled up. Not only was this some kind deed but he actually wanted to see me again. My lungs felt light and airy, I couldn't quite remember the last time I had this feeling.

(Why had he been so nervous? Does he like me?)

I smiled up at him and I could tell he was looking away from me, embarrassed for some reason which only furthered my suspicion. I wondered if he knew I could tell what he was doing. I'd explained my condition on the way up here but I didn't know if he thought I couldn't see through his nervousness. Generally people underestimated the things I could do without my sight.

"Sure."

His distorted face shifted back toward me and I could see his arms moving as well but I wasn't sure what he was doing. He seemed to spring back to action the second I spoke. I felt my hand being grabbed and a piece of paper placed into it. A large one. Before I could even try to figure out what it said, he spoke again, this time more cheerfully and happy which sounded really funny with his thick accent.

"Alright then! Well I'll see ya... Whenever." He laughed and began to walk away briskly and before I could even object. I turned around, surprised by his sudden exit, now almost unable to see  him walking quickly down the hall but I could hear the patter of his footsteps clearly

"Bye, Victor." I yelled, louder than I meant to but I couldn't quite tell how far he  was and I could hear an echo from my voice bouncing along the walls. He might've turned around for a second but I couldn't make out the shape well enough. My heart filled with air and as I opened the door I felt lighter. I'd sort of forgotten what it felt like to talk to strangers, but this particular one was wonderful. I shut the door behind me and leaned on it, sighing and taking in everything that had happened today. Maybe if I worked up the courage, I could call him tomorrow.

(Crap! That reminds me!)

I opened my hand, fumbling the paper which now felt wrinkled a bit but not torn. I put it back in my pocket for a second and reached around for my bed a few steps ahead of me. As soon as I felt the soft sheets, I fell back onto it and unfolded the paper. I couldn't read a thing. I could barely even tell there was a paper in my hand at all. I brought it closer to my eye, squinting desperately to try to make out the letters. I thought it was nice of him to write them big for me.

"###-463-8920."

Was that right? Was the three an eight? Was that a nine or a zero? The mode I strained my eyes to see, the more the obscured letters ran together, blending into the paper. There was a small dot at the end. I strained my eyes to see it, thinking I could be imagining it, before looking back at it in disbelief.

He drew a little heart at the end.