Chapter 2 [x]

mackenzie

It was almost unbearable, the slow march we took into the looming building ahead. When I could finally see into the open doorway, and eventually entered, I suddenly wished I hadn't.

The sight was horrific. The walls were stained crimson and only a few spots of gray stone were visible to our eyes. You could see the layers upon layers of dried blood, the only reminder of the lost human girls over the decades.

"I think I'm going to be sick" Melody whispers behind me. I nod in silent agreement, I could taste my own vile making an appearance . "What now?"

"We wait" I say, surprised by how calm my voice was. I felt anything but calm, maybe I was finally understanding the true horror awaiting us. We always knew, of course, but this room was the final affirmation.

"How long do you think we have to wait for?"

"Not a clue"

"Is it bad to wish he would just get it over with?"

"No," I whisper "I feel the same way."

"That's probably some of the fun for them, they enjoy our suffering."

"Leaving us in this room just makes it worse, as if death isn't enough."

"I think I need to sit down."

"Where? Everything is covered in blood."

"Like it matters" She shrugs.

"Dark"

"Yeah, well" She says, pointing at the walls once more, as to signal we'll just be an addition to it in a few hours.

"No I get it"

"Well I'm going to find a corner to hide away in, want to join?"

"I have nothing better to do" I point out.

We stumble through the dimly lit room, pushing past people until we reach the back wall. Melody doesn't hesitate to sit down, her back resting against the crimson wall. I frown, pulling off my hoodie and setting it on the ground, before joining her.

"Can't do it?"

"I just, I don't like blood."

"Wish the King felt the same way."

I crack a smile at her joke, silently wishing the same thing.

We fall into a comfortable silence, which allows my mind to wander to my mom, and my unborn brother. I know my mom will miss me, but it gives me comfort knowing she will have another child, one who will never be subjected to my fate.

-----

I don't know when I fell asleep, but the sound of a banging door startles me awake. I look over at Melody, who is also sleeping soundly beside me. I contemplate waking her up, but decide against it. It would be kind of me not too.

I squint, trying to make out the dark figure standing in the doorway of this torture chamber, but to no avail.

"Zayn." Melody suddenly whispers.

"It's him? You can see him?"

"No, but who else would it be?"

"I-Maybe I wished it was someone else."

"I don't, I'm ready to stop feeling this terror."

"Don't let him have your last moments"

"What?"

"He doesn't deserve your last moments to be in terror, think about the people you love. That's what I'm going to do."

"I wish we met before now"

A high pitched, blood curdling scream stops my answer. The figure had darted into a group of girls, I assume, taking his first victim. Melody clutched my arm, squeezing. I didn't pull away, letting her cut the circulation off my in my forearm.

The cries of pain and terror were merciless to our ears. I had accepted death a long time ago, but listening to this was far worse than I could've ever imagined. This was almost worse than death, being forced to watch and listen.

When Melody's grip disappears from my arm, I don't look up. I don't want to see this, I don't want to listen to anymore. I bury my face into my knees, as if this would give me escape.

There is a loud thud as her body hits the floor. I don't look, I don't want to see my newly found friend lifeless beside me.

"What no tears for your friend, no pleading?" His voice is cold, dead. It's fitting for the King.

I don't answer, defying the demon in the only way I can. He would not get to hear me beg him for anything. I would not give him that satisfaction.

Cold hands grab onto my shoulders, yanking me up with a violent force. My head swings back, smacking into the stone wall behind me. I wince at the impact, my eyes locking on the vampire's red eyes. I shrink away from him, his teeth dangerously close to my throat.

"Who are you?"

I look away, searching for someone else he must be talking too. Surely he isn't asking who I am.

Zayn growls loudly, his hands circling around my throat in a steel grip.

"I said, who are you?"

"Me?"

"Yes" He rolls his eyes, visibly aggravated "Who else?"

"Mackenzie"

"What's your last name?"

"Brennan"

He hisses, releasing me from his grip. With an incredible speed he whips around, pacing back and forth in front of me. I try not to let any emotions play across my face as my mind begins to obsessively race. What is happening? Why am I still alive?

He appears in front of me again, his expression impossible to read.

"You're coming with me." Zayn's hand grasps my arm as he begins walking, dragging me behind me. I stumble behind him, tripping over my own feet, trying to keep up with his pace.

"Can you keep up before I lose my mind?" He hisses.

"In case you forgot I'm human" I spit back, glaring at the impatient boy.

He doesn't answer, his arm snaking around my waist before taking off. The space around me moves too fast for me to see anything, and when we slow down, we're exiting a treeline into a massive expanse of grass and flowers.

In front of us also stands the biggest building I've ever seen. A massive, elegant castle is the only way to describe what I was looking at. My mouth drops open at the home, we never saw Zayn here in his televised appearances.

"Guards." Zayn summons two men, who begin to flank our heels.

"Yes sir?"

"I need you to find Lord Harry for me, tell him I need his company immediately."

"The Lord has just left to hunt."

"Tell him it needs to wait" Zayn barks.

"Of course, sir."

Our company disappears as quickly as it arrived.

Zayn continues to drag me along with him, a frown etched on his blood stained lips. He pushes through massive doors without hesitation, yanking me into an elegant entrance hall. The walls are painted creme, with pillars and silver accents. I'm surprised by how open the room is, it would be impressively welcoming if it wasn't for the vampires that inhabit it.

"You've come just in time" He says with a sinister smirk on his face, and suddenly I'm wishing he would have just killed me.