Ballet Boy - one shot

Start from the beginning

The boy huffs and rolls his eyes. "I am sure someone deserves a push to the ground here, but it is not Dan."

In his confusion, Dan doesn't even question how the new boy knows his name. He is probably a friend of Ellen.

"Are you threatening me, you jerk face?" Douglas asks but takes a step back anyway.

"Yes. Don't hurt him again or I will do more than push you."

Douglas gives Dan a last glare. "You are lucky you have that stupid bodyguard now, ballet boy! But he won't be around all the time. You girl." With that he turns and leaves, his friends trailing behind him.

Dan stands close to his sister, his bottom lip trembling. The ginger haired boy turns around and comes up to them. "Are you okay?"

That single question makes the dam break and Dan bawls his eyes out. They bring him inside and he finally tells his parents about what's happening at school and on his way home. After a long talk with the headmaster of his school, they decide to transfer Dan to another school. He has to take the bus to get there but he thinks that is okay as he can finally get away from the bullies.

He later learns his saviour's name is Phil and that he is their new neighbour and is in Ellen's class. His sister soon lost interest in the new boy next door when her friends in school found him boring. That doesn't stop Phil from coming over to ask her to play with him in the park or the garden.

One day she has enough and pushes Dan towards him. "Play with him, he doesn't have any friends anyway." And with that statement she leaves them to themselves.

Dan finds the older boy that protected him some weeks ago very cool and convinces him to go to the park with him. They sit on the swings and Dan wonders how Phil can swing so high that he looks like he can touch the clouds any moment.

"Why were they so mean to you? You know, some weeks ago, the stupid bullies that pushed you." Phil suddenly asks.

Dan pushes himself back a bit so he is softly swinging back and forth. "They don't like that I am dancing." He simply says. Maybe he can get away like that without Phil finding out about his ballet lessons. He wants to keep him as a friend and not have Phil against him. Up until now, all boys that know about his dancing have been complete idiots about it. Dan certainly doesn't want the cool older boy next door to think of him as a wimp or a girl.

Phil tilts his head to the side and stops his swinging. "Why?"

"They think it's girly."

"Why?"

"Because boys don't dance."

"Of course they do."

"Not ballet." Now he said it.

At that Phil looks over to him. "They don't like that you do ballet?"

Dan nods with his head hanging down. Why did he tell him?

"I don't understand. Why is that girly?" Phil questions and starts swinging again.

Dan stares up at Phil through his brown locks that have fallen into his eyes. "You don't think I am a girly wimp?"

"No?" Phil asks as if that is the most absurd thing in the world. "Why would I?"

"Because I do ballet. And I am a boy." He states, not understanding Phil's confusion one bit. "That's something for girls but I do it anyway."

"Okay, I got this already. But who says you can't do it if you are a boy? I mean, if it was forbidden you couldn't take lessons, right?" A short pause. "I think it's cool and brave." Phil says and jumps from the swing at the highest point. "I want to climb that tree over there. Will you come with me?"