Killer Betrayals chapter 16

Anna’s POV

Slowly sounds started seeping into my awareness, bits and pieces of conversation that I wasn’t quite able to fully decipher.  A pain shot through my head and felt like someone had shoved a spike into my scull.  Wincing slightly I cracked my eyes open and took in the room, the brightness of it made me squeeze my eyes shut.  I felt a squeeze on my hand, and heard an overly excited, high pitched squeal followed by, “She’s awake she’s awake!”

My hand was slightly moving up and down and I could only assume that in Debbie’s apparent excitement that she was literally bouncing up and down.

There was a kiss placed on my forehead before I heard Derek whisper in my ear, “It’s good to have you back.”

Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I tried to understand what he meant.  Then he was mercifully telling Debbie that they should go find a nurse to alert them that I had regained consciousness.  Hearing retreating footsteps I decided to attempt to open my eyes again.  It wasn’t as shocking this time, but it was still bright as hell.  Taking in my surroundings I noted with a frown that I was in a hospital room.

I racked my brain trying to figure out why I was here and why my head felt as though it was going to shatter at the slightest movement.  Drawing a blank I just mentally shrugged it off.  Someone would tell me eventually. 

Closing my eyes I attempted to relax, willing my head to stop throbbing.  Suddenly there was a slight shuffle of feet against the floor and a faint click of high heels.  Sighing, and lamenting my loss of relaxation time I huffed out a breath and forced my eyes open to take in who was intruding on my quiet time.

Blind rage struck me hard and fast.  How dare they show their faces here?!

“Anna,” a soft voice questioned, “are you awake?” 

“Get. Out. Now.”   I raged, well as much as I could with an excruciating headache.

“Do not speak to your mother that way!”  A masculine voice snapped back.

“How dare you come here and play the concerned parents!  And don’t you dare try to tell me how to act, and preach to me to respect you!  You lost that right years ago.  You lost that right when I became the unwanted daughter who could never be good enough to make up for the loss of Eva.  You lost that right when you tossed me aside and made me feel guilty for being alive.  Don’t you DARE ever tell me what to do or how to feel!”

“Anna, you apologi-“

“Don’t you dare finish that sentence father.  Who the fuck told you I was here, and why the fuck are YOU here?!”  At that moment I saw a slight movement by the door, and saw a guilty looking Reece.

“It was me,” he stated, sounding slightly defeated.  “They’re your parents, the only family you have.  I thought they should know.”

“Next time do me a favor and don’t think.  Don’t assume you know what’s best for me and stay the fuck out of my life.”  I knew I was being irrational.  There was no way he could have known that they were the last people on earth I would want here, but he had no right to do this.  He had no right to think that he knew what was best for me and who I would want near me.  He didn’t know me.  He didn’t know anything about me or my life.

“Anna, I’m sor-,” he started, but I abruptly cut him off.  I didn’t want to hear it right now.  I just wanted them gone.  I wanted him gone.

“Save it.  I don’t care.”

“Young lady, you are being extremely rude!”  My father yelled.  “We did not raise you to act this way!”