Killer Betrayals chapter 13 (pic of Reece)

Anna’s POV

Jerking away in surprise I watched as Reece’s body tensed and his jaw clenched.  As I was trying to get a handle on the situation, another tap sounded on the window, steadily becoming more and more persistent.  For some reason I didn’t want to turn around; I didn’t want this moment to end. 

But knowing that all good things must end I sucked in a breath, closed my eyes gathering the courage to face whoever was having such a negative effect on Reece and slowly turned around while cracking my eyes open.  Upon doing so I came face to face with a red head that I had completely forgotten about, and she looked furious. 

I guess if I just caught my fiancée in a position such as this I’d be pretty pissed too.  How could I forget that he was engaged?

Reaching for the door handle I jerked it open and stumbled out.  I felt a brush against the fabric of my shirt as if he was trying to stop me, and heard him call my name as I swiftly walked straight to my car, not looking back and not acknowledging the red head in any way.  My only thought was of home.

*                *                      *                      *                      *

The feel of my feet pounding against the pavement in a steady thwack thwack thwack was like a soothing balm against my soul.  The freedom of running, of feeling the wind in my hair and the air rush past my face was the closest thing to heaven for me.  It revived me.  It cleared my head in a way nothing else could.  It was just me and the path I chose, and the music from my iPod playing steadily in my ears. 

After returning home, and attempting to get past the humiliation I felt at giving in to temptation, I realized that the only thing that would clear my mind was this.  There was nothing like this feeling.  I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my body, and the burning in my lungs as I ran impossibly faster, and I welcomed the pain that burning sensation caused.  It was cathartic.

Deciding to take stock of my surroundings, I saw that I was only a few minutes from home, and upped my speed again pumping my arms and legs even faster.  Not only running physically but mentally and emotionally as well. 

Reaching my home I looked proudly upon the house that was mine and felt a sense of pride, and of accomplishment.  This was mine, no one else’s.

Slowing my pace to a jog I made my way up the brick pathway to my bright blue door.  I studied it for a moment knowing that something seemed off, but putting it down to paranoia and a really shitastic day, I continued until I reached the door.  My only thought was of getting to my shower as soon as humanly possible to wash this day away.  Or at least the part with Reece, I was ecstatic that Jose was pulling through alright.  He didn’t deserve everything he had gone through recently.