Chapter Seven

I woke with a start. I could still feel the heavy water pressing down on my head, my ears still throbbed with the pressure. But I could breathe. I could breathe again! I sucked in the fresh air greedily, my lungs stinging with every breath. As I lay in bed, my eyes staring up at the white ceiling, I realized something. My clothes. They weren't wet. In fact, I was completely dry.

So was I even in a dream?

The thought ran through my head like a knife cutting straight through flesh. The rain still pattered on my window, but it sounded a lot calmer than it did before. The headache I had earlier was going away now, but my brain felt like it was mush. Using any strength I had, I pushed myself off the bed and tumbled into the bathroom.

---------------------------------------------------------

After throwing up nearly everything I had in my stomach, I managed to clean myself up and get downstairs where I found Aunt Claire and May sitting on the sofa in the living room. May was reading a book by the fire while Claire was leaned back in the plush sofa, her head resting on a pillow and her eyes closed. Until I tripped on the bottom stair.

"Goodness Amelie you scared the-" May looked up-"the living daylights out of me," she finished, not sounding quite confident.

"Oh come on Mom I'm not a little kid anymore! I know some curse words now," May said, rolling her eyes.

Claire raised her eyebrows. "And is that so young lady?" She questioned, giving May that 'I'm your mother so I know what you're thinking right now' face. May shifted uncomfortably.

I sighed and flopped on the sofa next to Claire. "Ya know you can't hide it forever," I said. Claire huffed.

"Where were you for so long anyway?" She asked, changing the subject. I bit my lip.

"Just in my room," I replied casually. But Claire could see through my armor.

"May, darling, could you go up to your room please," she said, her eyes focused on her daughter who had decided to put her book down. "And while your at it I'd appreciate if you finished that book, I mean come it's been a week! That should at least take two days to finish."

May rolled her eyes. "Fine, but its not my fault Mrs. Goldfinch the grinch gave us Moby Dick children's edition!" She complained, but got up and trudged up the stairs anyway.

"Don't forget to brush!" Claire called up.

"Mom don't be embarrassing!" May yelled back. I giggled.

She rested a hand on my thigh. "What's wrong?" She asked, searching my eyes. I looked down at the floor.

"Just a bad dream..." I mumbled, though I wasn't even sure that was true.

"So that's what you've been up to! I was just about to check on you," she said, but I could tell she knew there was more to the story.

"Um, I guess you might be wondering about May's little issue," she said suddenly, changing the topic.

I scoffed at little issue.

"Regina Tomas is definitely your typical mean girl," she started, smiling a little, "except she never really bothered May until three years ago..."

I perked up.

"Regina's mother got remarried...to Jim."

I gasped. "Oh my god!"

Claire nodded solemnly and stared at the floor. "I was invited to their wedding....but I threw the invitation away," she muttered, barley audible.

"I've never even met this Regina girl yet and she already sounds like a major...." I trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence for my own sake.

Claire didn't even look up. She was deep in thought.

"Her mother is the same way," she said suddenly, breaking the silence.

She smiled, but it was bitter and short lived. I wrapped my arms around her and rested my head on her shoulder. She rubbed my head softly and kissed my forehead.

"It hurts a lot, doesn't it?" I asked. Claire bit her lip and nodded. I looked up into her pale blue eyes and saw nothing but regret. I knew my parents were madley in love, but I've never considered myself as the kind of person to follow in their footsteps. Every relationship I stepped into ended horribly. I've had so many heartbreaks its hard to keep track.

Maybe its because I always went for the bad boys....

I shook my head at the thought, even though it is partly true. Still, I can say I've dated a few non bad boys, but those didn't end well either. Guess I've never had much luck in the love department. Funny, because I was born on Valentines Day. Shouldn't this be my thing?

Definitely not.

The fire crackled in the hearth, sending a stream of warm air towards the sofa. I drank it in. Even though daytime in Blue Cove was freaking hot, nighttime always confused me. The warm breezes became so cold it was kinda like back home in Broken Bow. Maybe it had to do with the ocean. Yeesh, the ocean.

I found myself becoming sleepy, my eyelids drooping and my head lolling as I stared at the burning fire. Eerie shades of red and orange were cast on the walls of the family room. Slowing raindrops continued to patter on the large picture windows behind us. Aunt Claire's voice snapped me back to life.

"Your mother was always luckier than me," she began, her tone slow and faraway.

"She was the prettier one and she was older than me, she got the guys easily, she was perfect."

I could hear the deep emotion behind her words.

"But most of all, Beth was the perfect mother to her children," her voice cracked and I could tell she was crying without having to look up.

Tears filled my eyes as well. Oh mom, I miss you so much.

I instantly broke down, and could feel Claire's grip around me tighten as she shhed and murmured softly into my hair.

"Why did it have to happen? I told them, I told them not to go out there!" I cried into Claire's chest. "Its all my fault!"

"No, no, Amelie don't ever say that! It was not your fault!" She replied defensively, her own voice drowned out by her crying.

For the next ten minutes, we just sat there on the sofa, embracing and crying.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this chapter was so short! Well now you know Amelie was in a dream...or was she? Just a heads up, the next chapter is going to be a flashback from a terrible but important moment in Amelie's life. I wanted to write it so you guys can know how it all went down.