13.CAUGHT

Gerard slowly opened his eyes. He nearly screamed when he felt something burning his shoulder. The first rays of sunshine were starting to get inside through the window. He quickly step aside to the wall where the light couldn't reach him.

He jumped when he saw that body sleeping next to him. But then he noticed it was Frank. He watched carefully the place where he was. There was no doubt it was Frank's bedroom. Then he remembered everything. He had probably fell asleep there the night before.

He rubbed his eyes because he could barely see among the daylight. Once his mind was a little more awaken, his head started to work fast.

He hadn't gone to sleep with the ones of his clan. What would he tell them? How could he get back now? Would they be angry? Well, that last thing was obvious but, what if they even vanished him?

In that moment Frank woke up finding out that the wonderful person who he had dreamed all night about was next to him.

'Did you sleep here?' it was the first thing he asked. Then he looked at Gerard's serious expression and alarmed. 'What's wrong, Gee?'

Gerard told him the reasons why he was worried. But something was clear, he couldn't go back to his cave as long as he didn't want to become a fried vampire.

'Look, I have to go to high school' Frank said. 'but you can't stay here until the sunset because my mother will probably find you. Let's see... Since she's sleeping now and my father has already gone to work you can stay around here while I have breakfast before I leave.'

'Will I have to go to high school with you?'

'That's not the best option. But it's obvious you'll have to get out of the house. We'll think about where you can stay later, okay?'

  That's what they did. After Frank completed his daily routine he gave the vampire a hoodie so he could protect himself from the sun.

  Once they were on the street, he looked desesperately at the sunny street. But suddenly, Frank remembered one of the amazing facts about vampires Gerard had told him.

'You can transport yourself through the shadows, right?'

Gerard nodded.

'But I won't be able to do it in front of other people, they would suspect of me. It isn't a really subtle movement, you know?'

Then Frank, impatient to see a demonstration, he asked him to try it.

To start, Gerard should be already under a shadow so he put the hood on his head and ran until he was under the nearest tree. They were all lined up so the next shadows were totally available and on a perfect distance.

Frank saw with his own eyes how the vampire seemed to fade into the tree where he was' shadow and, really fast, he appeared through the next tree's shadow again. Amazed, he told Gerard to continue to walk. Or transporting himself, in the second one's case.

  Everything was right until they got to the busiest street in the town. Gerard wouldn't be able to use his abilities there, not in front of all the people there was. Also, they needed to hurry up so Frank wasn't late for his class so they started to run going under as many balconies as they could since the vampire's body was well-covered but every inch of light that could accidentally touch his face's skin meant a burn.

Right in that moment Frank had an idea. He said to Gerard that, just a little further than high school there was a park with a small tree in the middle. He could wat for him there until the classes were finished. Even though they ran to get there, the boy would be late, but that was his least worry in that moment.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

  Hours passed slowly to Gerard. He was there, alone in the middle of the solitary park. He had to move and change his position to make sure the light couldn't reach him and so that not really tall but dense lemon tree protected him periodically. At least that had allowed him to take his sweater and gloves off because of the heat they had produced him in the middle of that warm morning.

  He had a lot of time to think. Of him and of Frank. About everything and nothing.

His feelings for Frank were unavoidable. He knew it wasn't normal for a vampire to feel but, what was wrong with that? He had got sick because of starving, not because he loved Frank. Even though that was driving him crazy and making him think of things he shouldn't.

And about food... Now that he had had the chance to savor Frank's blood for second time he couldn't deny he was looking forward for a third one. Even though after that one... There wouldn't be more Frank's blood. But there would be more Frank and his presence for the rest of his life. No need to hide, nobody to judge them.

They could spend all the nights they wanted together and sleep together without fearing to be vanished from their own clan because they could find their own home where they could spend the rest of his days.

Those thoughts' presence was getting more frequent in the vampire's mind.

  He didn't know what time was it but the sky was starting to get darker although that happened soon in the afternoon during that time of the year. A what it seemed to be an eternity to him later, children and teenagers who were Frank's age or even older starting to appear walking through in front of the park. Gerard waited impatiently for that boy who had stolen his heart to appear.

Finally, a familiar face appeared just in front of him.

'Let's go back home, now.'

But Gerard wasn't happy about his presence or his expression, either. Even less about his stern tone of voice.

He had got dressed up like a normal person and it was obvious he had made it there walking since they had been already able to start to go out because of lights's absence.

It wasn't Frank the one he had in front in that moment.

  It was Synna, the headwoman of his clan.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆
In case you're interested...

My twitter: ✘Sn❄wfl∆ke✘{-157} (@laguipikiyokian): https://twitter.com/laguipikiyokian?s=09

My curiouscat: https://curiouscat.me/Sn0wflake